New York Edge Director of Elementary & Special Initiatives in New York, New York
The Director of Elementary & Special Initiatives reports and assists the Chief Program Officer in helping New York Edge achieve its vision to provide high quality programs throughout Champions Club. Director of Elementary & Special Initiatives will be responsible for a variety of significant activities including the support of Champions Club Elementary Portfolio operations, College Access and oversight of the New York Edge Summer Camp Season. The Director of Elementary & Special Initiatives will be instrumental in ensuring consistent and effective internal Champions Club processes and communications to strengthen all programs, positioning Champions Clubs for continued success. The candidate for this position must possess proven leadership skills, with the ability to solve problems and make sound decisions that encourage organizational growth and development.
Essential Job Functions
• Responsible for the overall delivery of the highest quality Elementary School Champions Club Programs
• Evaluate, train, and directly supervise Deputy Director of Elementary
• Oversee all contracting requirements of funders including: DYCD (OST), DOE, 21st CCLC, and Empire.
• Work closely with Chief Program Officer and senior staff to prepare materials to be distributed to the Board of Directors, Executive Committee, Department of Education/Department of Youth and Community Development personnel, and other high-level audiences.
• Oversee compliance of New York Edge policies on procurement and subcontractor/independent contractor agreements at Champion Clubs.
• Develop and review budgets for each club as well as the department.
• Maintain attendance records and reports on programs. Help establish improved attendance and expenditure reporting systems.
• Maintain knowledge of best practices.
• Monitor SACC and DOE licenses, education/fingerprinting/background check requirements.
• Organize professional development (PD) opportunities for champion’s staff.
• Strategize, develop and implement new projects/services to improve youth development/educational goals of program.
• Enforce New York Edge policies to ensure compliance with grant agreements regarding arts initiatives and regulations mandated by after-school partners, e.g. DOE, DYCD, OCFS, DOH and other funding sources.
• Review and respond to quarterly narrative reports as needed.
• Maintain comprehensive files for grant compliance purposes.
• All other duties as assigned by the Chief Program Officer.
• Develop key systems and procedures to ensure smooth delivery of services and retention of key partnerships.
• Oversee the development of the Middle School Today High School Tomorrow (MSTHST) curriculum.
• Manage integration of College and Career advisors in the Champions Club and Summer programs.
• Identify professional development opportunities for Borough Supervisors and College & Career Advisors.
• Organize special event/s such as a HS/ College Fair or College Day.
• Monitor monthly spending patterns.
• Maintain on-going communications and positive relationships with Principals, School Leadership Teams and key stakeholders
• Ensure schools submit all contracting documents (attendance, invoices, MOUs and Work Orders) necessary for payment to the organization.
• Travel to school locations for the purpose of conducting site visits and meeting with school administrators.
• Supervise the year round planning and overall organization of the summer camp programs, Summer Discretionary and Special Initiatives in approximately 100 to 120 Schools.
• Evaluate and develop on-going strategies to improve delivery of high quality summer camp programs
• Oversee summer camp curriculum implementation
• Assist in new programmatic training initiatives as assigned by Chief Program Officer.
• Represent New York Edge in city council advocacy meetings and in the media by presentation of program components and highlights.
• Support Deputy Directors and Program Managers in the planning with Principals on support areas, space, staffing, activities, curriculum, etc. as needed
• Liaison with Funders and New York Edge partners
• Support Deputy Directors and Program Managers in speaking to parents about incidents and general concerns as needed
• Support and Execute Strategic Plan in alignment with Program Initiatives.
• Budget Management, Youth development, Training and Technical Assistance, Program Development and Implementation, and Community Development
• Organizational skills: attention to detail; ability to prioritize; ability to meet deadlines; manage multiple tasks
• Maintain knowledge of best practices, share best practices with program management team
• Strong oral and written communication skills
• Computer skills; particularly in MS Excel, Word and Outlook
• Analytical skills
• Conflict resolution and diplomacy
• Problem solving
• Assist in securing building permits, approve the purchases of supplies & equipment, assist in event planning, authorize payroll and staff reimbursements, create standardized procedures and forms
• Enforce New York Edge policies to ensure compliance with grant agreements and regulations mandated by after-school partners, e.g., DOE, DYCD, OCFS, DOH and other funding sources
• Provide constructive feedback to New York Edge, diplomatically pressing forward the New York Edge program model
• Ensure each site maintains program files and other required documentations (DOH compliance).
• Participate in Organizational Functions as requested.
• Participate in the Process Improvement Program (PIP) Committee with CPO, CEO, and Finance.
• Conduct management site visits.
• Manage the implementation, monitoring and reporting of the Program Manager Site Assessment Tool.
• Attend Program Committee meetings with the Board, Uniformity Committee, Data/Evaluation meetings, and other agency driven meetings.
• Support New ASDP Initiative.
• Provide coverage for Sr. Director and Chief Program Officer.
• Supervise the Deputy Director of Elementary.
• Supervise College Access Borough Supervisors.
• Supervise Sr. Program Manager of Summer Camp.
• Coordinate the start-up of the ExpandEd Ready Readers expansion initiative.
• Supervise the Literacy Coordinator
• Support the implementation initiative at 5 elementary school sites.
• Bachelor’s Degree required. Master’s in Education or related highly preferred
• At least 10 years’ experience in the field of education, college readiness, sports, arts and/or youth development administration required
• At least 5 years prior supervisory experience in urban education or community-based organization
• Organizing special events (workshops, college tours, conferences, etc.)
• Supervision of managers
At time of offer and acceptance, the job requires safety and security clearances through the Department of Education.
New York Edge is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
Disclaimer:The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the employee in this position. These statements are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of a person in this position.
EOE Minorities / Females / Protected Veterans / Disabled