The New School Director of Financial Aid in New York, New York
Reporting to the Senior Director of Financial Aid, the Director of Financial Aid is a dynamic and dedicated professional responsible for overseeing a seamless financial aid operation and superior service to financial aid applicants, their families, and members of the university community. As a highly visible representative of The New School and an integral part of the Strategic Enrollment Management (SEM) team, the Director of Financial Aid establishes policies, procedures and guidelines regarding the effective and efficient distribution of financial aid among applicants and enrolled students, while meeting the institution’s enrollment, budgetary and net tuition revenue goals.
The Director oversees and administers an annual financial aid program composed of institutional funds, Title IV aid, State grants, and loans to a diverse population of undergraduate, graduate and PhD students. The Director manages the daily operations of the Financial Aid team including: staff professional development, keeping current on Federal, State and Institutional regulations, engaging new and continuing students in the Financial Aid Process and assisting the Senior Director of Financial aid in recruitment, aid leveraging and retention plans.
● Draws on extensive financial aid knowledge and expertise to develop and oversee an effective customer service team to assist students and families in progressing through the financial aid process.
● Manages the administration of federal, state, and institutional financial aid funds and services, provides oversight of standard financial aid duties such as needs analysis, verification, loan processing and satisfactory academic progress monitoring and managing all aspects of compliance and associated regulations.
● Resolves disbursement issues with Student Accounts and other University offices and improves processes to ensure that students aren’t negatively impacted.
● Oversees updates to the annual cost of attendance, assisting with billing rules in collaboration with the Senior Director and Student Accounts.
● Develops counseling staff in interpersonal coaching strategies, financial aid planning and conflict resolution.
● Supervises and provide leadership to associate director level staff.
● Provides oversight of department activities in order to develop and achieve annual goals, including budgeting and planning.
● Coordinates the communication plan to students and university members as needed.
● Completes the FISAP and other federal (and state) mandated financial aid reporting requirements and annual surveys in coordination with the Institutional Research Office.
● Serves on University committees as assigned. Assists with conducting on and off campus presentations, seminars, and/or workshops for students. Also presents information at various events.
● Resolves and/or assists in the resolution of problems and/or complaints and initiates corrective action as appropriate.
● Other duties as assigned.
● BA/BS required, Masters a plus
● Must be a seasoned financial aid professional with at least 10 years of progressive experience and demonstrated success working with Federal and State financial aid programs ● Excellent communication, organizational, and interpersonal skills ● Ability to work independently, as well as part of a diverse, dynamic team of professionals ● Supervisory and administrative experience ● Excellent customer/student service skills