Ross Stores, Inc. Director Sourcing Home in New York, New York
Welcome to Ross Stores, Inc., where our differences make us stronger… At Ross and dd’s, inclusion is a way of life. We care about our Associates and the communities we serve and we value their differences. We are committed to building diverse teams and an inclusive culture. We respect and celebrate the diversity of backgrounds, identities, and ideas of those who work and shop with us. Come join us as we continue our diversity, equality and inclusion journey!
Director Sourcing Home
About Ross Stores, Inc.
Since 1982, our focus has been on bringing our customers a constant stream of high quality brands and trends at extraordinary savings, while providing a fun and exciting treasure hunt experience. We believe in keeping things simple: no expensive signage, displays or fancy fixtures - to us, it's far more meaningful to pass greater savings on to our customers with on trend apparel, accessories, footwear, and home furnishings. With more than 1,800 stores, including Ross Dress for Less and dd's DISCOUNTS, we are the nation's largest off-price retail chain, and we continue to grow at a rate far outpacing traditional retail.
With corporate headquarters located in Dublin, CA, we have three buying offices positioned in key markets in New York City, Los Angeles, and Boston, as well as six state-of-the-art distribution centers across the country. With FY2019 revenues of $16 billion, we are a Fortune 500, S&P 500, and Nasdaq 100 Company, committed to offering an inclusive, safe and positive workplace. Come see what's in store.
As part of the Ross family you will experience:
- A respectful culture embedded with collaborative partnerships and humility
- Opportunities to give back to your community through national charities, local volunteer initiatives, and our Ross Cares Fund
- A significant investment in your career through extensive onboarding programs, continuous learning opportunities, ongoing development and the opportunity to work with engaged and knowledgeable industry leaders
Additional information is available at: https://jobs.rossstores.com/creative/about
About this opportunity ....
The Sourcing Director manages agents, vendors, and factories to drive a holistic sourcing strategy for the Home area. The Director will identify appropriate product and material for development, based on merchant business needs and trends that meet cost, lead time requirements and quality. The Director will provide Merchant education to deepen sourcing and manufacturing knowledge. The Director will have direct reports at Associate Sourcing Manager or Manager level
- Drives sourcing strategy (including agent, vendor, COO, and cost strategies) to meet business needs, leverage market conditions, and mitigate risks.
- Grows and manages effective agent and vendor partnerships with keen understanding of vendor, country and cost capabilities.
Assesses vendors' core capabilities and potential manufacturing efficiencies, including strengths and weaknesses to build an effective vendor matrix.
Partners with team on the onboarding of new suppliers / countries / factories.
- Demonstrates a critical eye for product and has strong experience developing raw materials and programs that fit Ross cost structure.
- Identifies new resources to address merchant business needs: supply gaps/whitespace, novelty, newness, breadth, diversity and value, within context of sourcing strategy. Ensure new resources meet quality and costing requirements.
- Manages development and production placement based on yearly calendar.
- Manages costing for a product area. Ensures that placement aligns with Sourcing strategy. Reviews final placement with team. Expertly engineers garment construction and coo placement to achieve lowest duty rate and lowest landed cost.
- Updates merchants on high level sourcing or production issues.
- Creates synergy in the cross-functional team (Sourcing, Merchants, Technical Design and Fashion Office) that delivers the right product for our customer that meets value and style requirements.
- Monitors and tracks best / worst sellers. Offers up new opportunities and, as necessary, make changes to what is in the pipeline.
- Collaborates with Fashion office lead on general category and/or material opportunities.
- Collaborates with Product Technical Services lead on vendor technical capabilities.
- Keeps product knowledge current by shopping the competition, Ross stores, and the market. Makes recommendations to the Ross assortment mix based on learnings. Demonstrates understanding of price value relationship.
- Advises buyers on key topics, as needed including technical manufacturing details, cost components, garment construction and calendar / lead times.
- Supports merchants as needed in troubleshooting issues/opportunities with domestic vendors.
- Drives continual development and refining of work flow, processes and tools in partnership with the VP.
- Provides direction to team on regular priorities and projects to achieve established milestones and deadlines and grow their understanding of the work and goals.
- Provides ongoing development feedback to direct reports through regular one and one meetings and individual development support.
Who you are ...
- 8+ years sourcing/product development experience for home.
- Thorough knowledge of the product development and production process.
- Experience in multiple categories and price points, including value / off price.
- Understanding of end to end home manufacturing and global supply chain processes.
- Professional and effective written and verbal skills. Experience communicating with international partners.
- Collaborative working style: Ability to balance needs of internal organization with focus on buyers with the needs of global partner base.
- Possesses strong network of resources- direct suppliers and agents.
- Strategic mindset and experience in project management. Ability to direct and drive strategy at high level and go narrow, deep and tactical when needed.
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally.
Perks and Benefits of joining our team....
Our Associates are at the heart of everything we do and we're proud to offer a range of benefits that reflect how much we value their contributions. Here's a peek into what you can expect as an eligible Ross Associate:
- A broad range of affordable health insurance options*, 401(k) with employer match*, life insurance*
- Ample PTO, paid holidays, and Summer Fridays, as well as the opportunity to purchase additional vacation*
- Employee stock purchase plan*
- Charitable donations matched by Ross Stores Foundation
- Enhanced maternity and bonding leaves with 100% income replacement*
- Parent support programs
- And more....
* eligibility may vary based on level and tenure, subject to change