Ross Stores, Inc. Director Strategy in New York, New York
Welcome to Ross Stores, Inc., where our differences make us stronger… At Ross and dd’s, inclusion is a way of life. We care about our Associates and the communities we serve and we value their differences. We are committed to building diverse teams and an inclusive culture. We respect and celebrate the diversity of backgrounds, identities, and ideas of those who work and shop with us. Come join us as we continue our diversity, equality and inclusion journey!
About Ross Stores, Inc.
Since 1982, our focus has been on bringing our customers a constant stream of high quality brands and trends at extraordinary savings, while providing a fun and exciting treasure hunt experience. We believe in keeping things simple: no expensive signage, displays or fancy fixtures - to us, it's far more meaningful to pass greater savings on to our customers with on trend apparel, accessories, footwear, and home furnishings. With more than 1,900 stores, including Ross Dress for Less and dd's DISCOUNTS, we are the nation's largest off-price retail chain, and we continue to grow at a rate far outpacing traditional retail.
With corporate headquarters located in Dublin, CA, we have three buying offices positioned in key markets in New York City, Los Angeles, and Boston, as well as seven state-of-the-art distribution centers across the country. With FY2021 revenues of $18.9 billion, we are a Fortune 500, S&P 500, and Nasdaq 100 Company, committed to offering an inclusive, safe and positive workplace. Come see what's in store.
As part of the Ross family you will experience:
- A respectful culture embedded with collaborative partnerships and humility
- Opportunities to give back to your community through national charities, local volunteer initiatives, and our Ross Cares Fund
- A significant investment in your career through extensive onboarding programs, continuous learning opportunities, ongoing development and the opportunity to work with engaged and knowledgeable industry leaders
Additional information is available at: https://jobs.rossstores.com/creative/about
About this opportunity ....
The Director Strategy will be responsible for leading various project workstreams and analyses related to the growth and operationalization of Product Sourcing and Services. PSS is a new group within Ross that helps Merchants execute new product strategies in a changing retail environment. The PSS Strategy team is responsible for helping stand up this new function and set the 3-5 year direction.
They will be an integral part of the PSS business, interacting frequently with operators, functional leaders and other cross-functional teams.
Own and manage projects related to expansion and scaling of PSS capabilities.
Lead workstreams (and / or whole projects) - sometimes independently, sometimes with Analysts and others supporting.
- Develop thorough understanding of project objectives and what a successful outcome looks like by working and aligning with internal and cross-functional partners.
- Deconstruct projects into workstreams, setting milestones and workplans against each. Keep teams aligned to workplans, providing regular updates on progress and calling out risks to timing / approach.
- Mobilize team and self against project objectives, facilitating work sessions and analysis. Help stakeholders from other functions document and package their contributions to project goals.
- Drive operationalization of projects: build tools / templates to support project objectives, document / develop process, write and deliver training to teams, gather feedback and refine approach as required.
- Maintain alignment with Manager. Provide regular detailed updates on progress, proactively ask for input and guidance, surface risks / callouts.
- Throughout, partner and communicate effectively with other functions both within and outside of PSS - maintain strong relationships, be an active listener and consensus builder, drive to solutions through strong engagement from other functions.
Develop and communicate solutions that are right for Ross - through analysis and insight into root causes and improvement opportunities.
Create and execute plans to gather data and insights to develop practical solutions through a mix of qualitative and quantitative analyses.
- Understand the off-price business model and diagnose key business problems with an eye toward what is "right" as far as process, quality, time spend, in the off-price model.
- Partner with cross-functional teams to interpret data and information - seeking additional nuance and context to build support for hypotheses.
- "Connect the dots" between functions to understand how business problems effect various stakeholders. Proactively surface these considerations to stakeholders to seek input as solutions are developed.
- Effectively translate analysis / insights into executive ready communications (via email and powerpoint).
- Present materials and lead discussions with executives for data gathering and solution development.
Perform practical, action oriented, & comprehensive analysis in support of Strategic business initiatives
Coordinate and execute analysis - this could include pulling data, building models and analyzing financial, operational or statistical data and / or directing others to perform those analyses.
- Develop compelling materials to communicate results of analysis and key insights internally and externally (e.g., Board meetings, Buyer meetings, Operating Committee meetings, Strategic off-sites, etc.)
Who you are ...
- You have a College degree and MBA, preferably with 4-5 years post MBA experience in a project management and analytical environment -top tier Consulting firm or corporate strategy role.
- You have excellent communication (written and oral) and interpersonal skills; ability to interface with various levels within organization including Merchant and support organizations.
- You have outstanding analytical ability: Must have a data driven approach to solving problems. Requires very strong quantitative skills and a good sense of how to structure problems.
- You have Project management experience: Must be able to set priorities between multiple projects and deadlines, and keep manager updated frequently.
- You have a detail-oriented approach: Must have very close attention to details and the drive to get things right.
- You have experience working and communicating as part of a team: Needs to be able to build effective working relationships within and outside the PSS Strategy team.
- You have strong fundamental business skills: must be Excel and PowerPoint proficient.
- You have a clear understanding of basic financial, statistical, and economic concepts.
This role requires regular in-office presence, including to engage in in-person team interaction, meetings and collaboration, client support, mentoring, coaching, and/or feedback. However, this role can perform duties effectively using a combination of in-office and remote work.
Perks and Benefits of joining our team....
Our Associates are at the heart of everything we do and we're proud to offer a range of benefits that reflect how much we value their contributions. Here's a peek into what you can expect as an eligible Ross Associate:
- A broad range of affordable health insurance options*, 401(k) with employer match*, life insurance*
- Ample PTO, paid holidays, and Summer Fridays, as well as the opportunity to purchase additional vacation*
- Employee stock purchase plan*
- Charitable donations matched by Ross Stores Foundation
- Enhanced maternity and bonding leaves with 100% income replacement*
- Parent support programs
- And more....
* eligibility may vary based on level and tenure, subject to change
At Ross & dd's we care about our Associates and the communities we serve. We are committed to building diverse teams and an inclusive culture that respects, values and celebrates the diversity of backgrounds, identities, and ideas of those who work and shop with us.