Teachers College, Columbia University Early Childhood Teaching Assistant (Work Study Position for SUMMER 2021) in New York, New York
Early Childhood Teaching Assistant (Work Study Position for SUMMER 2021)
Apply now (https://secure.dc4.pageuppeople.com/apply/677/gateway/default.aspx?c=apply&lJobID=508272&lJobSourceTypeID=796&sLanguage=en-us) Job no: 508272
Position type: College Work Study
Location: New York
The Rita Gold Early Childhood Center seeks a part-time teaching assistant for summer 2021 to support a child-led, play-based classroom with an emergent curriculum. Candidate must be a Teachers College student with a work study award. May-July program with additional hours prior for training/paperwork.
Job Summary/Basic Function:
Seeking Student Assistants to support head teachers in the care and education of infants, toddlers or preschoolers in a play-based educational program with an emergent curriculum. Must have work study award.
• Work with young children as a classroom teaching assistant under the supervision of head teachers.
• Support the teaching team in all aspects of education and care of children including facilitating children's play and follow children's lead to enact an emergent curriculum.
• Document children’s development and experiences on a daily basis.
• Take initiative to support classroom routines and your own learning by asking questions about practice.
• Prepare, maintain and organize classroom materials.
• Support a welcoming environment for families.
• Participate in Center-wide events during and outside scheduled classroom hours such as Center-wide events, as possible.
• Assigned other tasks, as needed, not limited to administrative tasks or floating across classrooms.
• Available up to 20 hours per week, during the hours that the Center is open: Mon-Thurs 8:30 am. to 3:30 pm and Fri 8:30-1:30pm. (Please provide number of hours available and summer schedule in cover letter.) Summer position, late April through late July/early August.
• Must be able to lift young children 6 weeks to 6 years of age in provide daily care such as diapering and feeding.
• Able to participate/implement covid-19 mitigation strategies.
• Department of health training and paperwork required, including a background check approval prior to hiring, as well as submission of TC background check paperwork.
• Must have been awarded federal work-study for the term in which a work-study position is being sought.
• Must be a student matriculated in a TC degree program.
• Must be taking at least 6 credits (or equivalent, which includes full-time equivalent offerings - HBSK 6480, CCPJ 6480, CCPX 6480, or any 8900 course).
• Full-time TC employees are not eligible for this position.
• Must be able to abide by the Student Confidentiality Agreement.
• Must be able to abide by the Student Privacy Requirements.
In order to be considered for this position, applicants must submit required documents:
• Cover letter (Include number of hours plus summer availability.)
• Contact information for three references
If you have questions, contact Patrice Nichols, Onsite Associate Director, firstname.lastname@example.org
Founded in 1982, the RGC provides care for infants, toddlers, preschool children, and their families who are affiliated with Columbia University, and prepares graduate students in the field of early childhood education. We are committed to continually discovering, creating, and sustaining a teaching and learning environment that supports inquiry, diversity, and equity. These foundational principles are interwoven throughout the various dimensions of the position.
For more information about the Rita Gold Early Childhood Center, please visit our website:
• Able to work up to 20 hours per week.
• Have at least one-year experience working with young children birth though age 5, preferably in a classroom setting.
• Knowledge of a second language is preferable since we serve a multicultural group of children and families.
• Pursuing studies related to young children and families, and interest in engaging in how your course of study connects with children and families.
• Ability to continue to continue in the fall.
Advertised: 26 Mar 2021 Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: 30 Jun 2021 Eastern Daylight Time