Nature America, Inc Editorial Director, Community Journals in New York, New York
Nature Research is a flagship portfolio of journals, products and services including Nature and the Nature-branded journals, dedicated to serving the scientific community.
**Role: Editorial Director, Community Journals
Locations: London, Berlin or New York
Closing date for applications: Friday 10th September 2021 **
The Editorial Director Community Journals role will have responsibility for the editorial performance and development of the *Scientific Reports* and *Scientific Data* journal titles, maximising their visibility and reach. These journals are part of Nature Portfolio, within the research publishing division at Springer Nature.
*Scientific Reports*, the worlds largest journal, is a prominent, multidisciplinary title that provides an inclusive destination for tens of thousands of authors annually. This role will oversee the further development of this vital title. *Scientific Data* is a ground-breaking title in the data publishing space, a new frontier in scientific publishing. In overseeing this journal, there is huge potential to develop it and maximise its potential.
The Editorial Director will confidently lead and nurture a dedicated and talented team of editorial experts, ensuring sound editorial practices, setting goals and KPIs, monitoring performance against targets, and implementing new policies, workflows, processes and systems.
Core accountabilities for the role include to:
- Provide leadership and guidance to the editorial teams, including line management and support for Chief Editors, who manage wider direct reports.
- Drive forward the vision for attracting, retaining and creating quality scientific content, ensuring that editorial teams are visible within their communities, developing strategies for targeting new areas and externally championing the journals.
- Establish a data-driven culture, where all relevant information is used by the editorial team to develop their content.
- Understand and champion the needs of authors and reviewers, ensuring that excellent author service is provided, in particular with respect to manuscript handling times.
- Provide subject-based and policy guidance to the editorial teams, and oversee the investigation and resolution of research integrity issues.
- Manage the recruitment of editorial positions and ensure that staff are adequately supported during any period of staff shortage or training.
- Ensure the implementation of new policies, workflows, systems and processes, and support the development of strong transfer pathways.
- Significant experience in a manuscript-handling editorial role within the science landscape
- Proven experience in a senior editorial and management role
- Experience in open access publishing
- Solid knowledge of editorial processes, with previous commitments to transparent and inclusive publishing
- Seasoned leadership and team-building qualities
- Excellent management and communication skills
- Thorough understanding of the scientific process as it pertains to STM publishing
- Thorough understanding of the needs of authors and referees as key customers
- Strong analytical skills
- Enthusiasm and passion for excellence in science and scientific communications
- Credibility and respect built through working with editorial teams
- Ability to lead others to embrace and drive change
- Science-based higher degree and research experience
When applying for this role in Success Factors, please submit yourcover letter and CV, highlighting your motivations behind applying for this exciting opportunity.
Springer Nature isan Equal Opportunity Employer that complieswith the laws and regulations set forth in the following Equal Employment Opportunity IsThe Law poster:
Visitthe Springer Nature Editorial and Publishing website atwww.springernature.com/editorial-and-publishing-jobsfor more information about ourResearch E& P career opportunities.
At Springer Nature we value the diversity of our teams. We recognize the many benefits of a diverse workforce with equitable opportunities for everyone. We strive for an inclusive workplace that empowers all our colleagues to thrive. Our search for the best talent fully encompasses and embraces these values and principles.
Equal Opportunity Employer-minorities/females/veterans/individuals with disabilities/sexual orientation/gender identity