Penguin Random House LLC Editorial Director, Random House in New York, New York
Random House is seeking an Editorial Director who will be responsible for building a team and developing and overseeing a list of approximately twenty to thirty books a year, working closely with internal teams, as well as freelance teams of translators, letterers, and designers. The successful candidate will possess excellent editing and writing skills, strong time-management and organizational abilities, a passion for manga, manhua, anime, and/or video games & pop culture, and a deep network of contacts in the relevant categories. Fluency in Chinese would be helpful.
• Research and propose title candidates for acquisition.
• Oversee the localization and production of manga for English-language readers, including translation scripts and page proofs, supervising lettering and design, and reviewing printer materials and digital proofs to ensure quality, accuracy, and consistency.
• Source, assign, and schedule teams of freelance translators, letterers, rewriters, and designers to produce each work.
• Manage all duties involved in the editorial production of titles.
• Work with Publishing team to manage licensor relationships.
• Write copy for covers, frontmatter, and backmatter, and related marketing materials and work closely with design & marketing on production of same.
• Produce title information sheets-including promotional copy, key selling points, target audiences, and BISAC categories-and other sales material as required for each seasonal list.
• In addition to these responsibilities, perform other duties as assigned.
• 7-10+ years of book editorial experience, or translation, writing, or editing experience in an adjacent field
• Excellent English-language editing and writing skills
• Proven ability to manage time, prioritize deadlines, and balance multiple projects simultaneously
• Strong organization skills and attention to detail
• Ability to communicate clearly and interact professionally with both internal staff and external partners, frequently in a cross-cultural context
• Strong interest in anime, graphic novels, pop culture and video games
• Proficiency at Adobe Creative Suite (specifically InDesign and Acrobat)
• Proficiency at Microsoft Office 365 Suite (specifically Word, Outlook, and Teams)
• Aptitude in written Chinese sufficient to evaluate potential titles and correct translation errors is helpful.
Full-time employees are eligible for our comprehensive benefits program. Our range of benefits include, but are not limited to, Medical/Prescription drug insurance, Dental, Vision, Health Care/Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account, Health Savings Account, Pre-Tax and Roth 401(k), Short and Long-Term Disability Insurance, Life/AD&D Insurance, Commuter Benefits, Student Loan Repayment Program, Educational Assistance & generous paid time off.
Penguin Random House is the leading adult and children’s publishing house in North America, the United Kingdom and many other regions around the world. In publishing the best books in every genre and subject for all ages, we are committed to quality, excellence in execution, and innovation throughout the entire publishing process: editorial, design, marketing, publicity, sales, production, and distribution. Our vibrant and diverse international community of nearly 250 publishing brands and imprints include Ballantine Bantam Dell, Berkley, Clarkson Potter, Crown, DK, Doubleday, Dutton, Grosset & Dunlap, Little Golden Books, Knopf, Modern Library, Pantheon, Penguin Books, Penguin Press, Penguin Random House Audio, Penguin Young Readers, Portfolio, Puffin, Putnam, Random House, Random House Children’s Books, Riverhead, Ten Speed Press, Viking, and Vintage, among others. More information can be found at http://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/.
Penguin Random House values the array of talents and perspectives that a diverse workforce brings. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, religion, age, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status.
Company: Penguin Random House LLC Country: United States of America State/Region: New York City: New York Postal Code: 10019 Job ID: 231602 Salary range: -
Penguin Random House LLC
- Penguin Random House LLC Jobs