Graham Windham Education Specialist - Middle School in NEW YORK, New York
Education Specialist - Middle School
About Graham Windham
In full partnership with families and communities, Graham Windham strives to make a life-altering difference with children, youth and families who are overcoming some of life’s most difficult challenges and obstacles by helping to build a strong foundation for life: a safe, loving, permanent family and the opportunity and preparation to thrive in school and in the world. With over 600 full-time employees serving children and families in multiple programs throughout Westchester County, the Bronx, Brooklyn and Harlem, Graham Windham provides an exciting & enriching work experience.
Graham Windham is the first organization in New York City to implement Solution–Based Casework. Solution–Based Casework helps children and families to be the solution to the seemingly insurmountable problems in their lives, from generational cycles of poverty, abuse, and neglect to unemployment, domestic violence, and severe health problems. By recognizing and reinforcing their innate strengths and ability to cope, we at Graham Windham empower them to take the lead in making change in their lives.
About the Position:
The Middle School Educational Specialist will provide comprehensive educational advocacy and support to help students perform at grade level, gain promotion to the next grade and enter quality middle schools and high schools. The Specialist will provide assistance to youth directly and to case planners and parents/caregivers, as well as foster and kinship parents to meet the educational needs of 5th through 8th graders.
Duties & Responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
· Work with up to 50 5th through 8th graders and their families and case planners
· Provide educational advocacy to ensure students are receiving the supports/services they need to succeed in school.
· Provide individualized assistance with the high school selection processes to 7th and 8th grade students and their families. The Specialist will ensure that all students apply to high performing, best-fit schools, and will track these schools through an online platform once they are submitted.
· The Specialist will provide individualized assistance to all 5th grade students and families with the middle school selection process.
· Refer all students in need of academic help for tutoring and follow up with Tutor/Coaches regarding the students’ performance, needs, and any concerns.
· Refer all students with advanced skills to supports for Specialized High School test prep and support applications for middles schools with honors programs and for Screened High Schools.
· Use an online platform to monitor and update academic milestones as it relates to attendance, service and support, tutoring and individualized education curriculum, and record progress in Connections.
· Connect students to afterschool and summer extracurricular activities.
· Coordinate with Case Planning Teams and families, as needed.
· Participate in Family Team Conferences and provide guidance and support surrounding the educational needs of the youth.
· Common educational advocacy services provided by the Specialist:
· Special education support and advocacy, include requesting evaluations, participating in Individualized Education Program (IEP) meetings, monitoring service implementation, and helping families exercise their due process rights;
· Disciplinary support and advocacy; Truancy prevention and support; Tutoring referrals;
· School enrollment and transfers, including participating in best interest determinations and securing transportation when students enter foster care or move between foster care placements;
· Referrals to other services/supports, as needed.
Bachelor’s Degree required; Minimum one year experience working with the educational school system; Knowledge of NYC DOE policies; Solution-focused and Dependable: Works with others to solve problems, acknowledges mistakes and successes, and follows through on commitments; Respectful: Has strong personal integrity and wants to participate in a culture that celebrates vibrant and diverse spiritual and ideological perspectives, racial, ethnic, and gender identities, and sexual orientations; Ability to work collaboratively across many systems and stakeholders; Excellent verbal and written communication skills, especially for client advocacy; Ability to work independently; Computer application proficiency, including CONNECTIONS system, Microsoft Outlook and Word
Full-time position; salary $43,000 in accordance with qualifications. Graham Windham offers eligible employees a comprehensive benefit package including medical, dental, and vision coverage, paid time off, holiday pay, retirement savings plan, and much more.