Shearman & Sterling, LLP Financial Analyst I, Management Reporting & Analysis in New York, New York
As an analyst in the Management Reporting & Analysis team, you will prepare financial analysis and presentations that provide management (i.e., Practice Group Leaders, Office Managing Partners, Executive Group and special committees) with critical information used to make decisions that directly impact the firm. Through superior knowledge of Excel and PowerPoint, this position is able to assemble concise and clear analyses and present in a format consistent with firm standards. It is the expectation of that a person in the position will develop a strong understanding of the intricacies of the legal environment, including key drivers, market conditions, business trends, etc., in order to perform complex profitability analysis to help uncover potential opportunities or risks.
- Develop and implement programmed and manually produced ad hoc reports and charts, using Excel and PowerPoint as well as proprietary in-house systems. Review reports for accuracy and consistency.
- Develop presentations for various partner meetings as well as monthly presentations for the Executive Group on performance on key metrics in the firm. Develop creative and innovative ways of illustrating new ideas and strategies to the audience.
- Create and manipulate complex financial models in MS Excel. Ensure accuracy of model and develop solid assumptions. Develop concise output of model in a format that is clear to management. Provide conclusions or recommendations to management from the data analyzed.
- Prepare and execute other financial analyses and special projects such as expense analyses, trend analyses and other analyses related to group and firm wide presentations or special requests from partners.
- Review and proof other analysts' work to ensure the highest level of accuracy of the group's work product.
- Perform such other responsibilities as may be assigned from time to time.
Knowledge, Skills & Attributes
- Superior analytical skills
- Ability to comprehend complex business issues and practices
- Excellent Excel, PowerPoint and Word skills
- Superior written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to employ excellent time management practices
- Ability to work with all levels of the organization
- Ingenuity, Creativity
- Detailed Financial Modeling skills
- Expertise in Excel functions, such as V/H Lookup formulas, Pivot Tables, Linking, If/Or Statements, consolidation function, arrays, etc.
- Excellent ability to multi-task
Education & Experience
- Bachelors in Business (e.g. Accounting, Finance or Economics)
- 2-3 years of financial analysis experience in a corporate environment
- Strong experience and knowledge of Excel and PowerPoint
Physical Activity/Other Miscellaneous
- Ability to work extended hours during the busy season which includes non-business hours