Jewish Community Center Inclusion Counselors, Camp Twelve Trails in New York, New York
At Camp Twelve Trails we are dedicated to universally shared values central to Jewish life. Our proactive integration of these values into everything we do supports children of all backgrounds and helps them grow into better people. Our warm, welcoming culture fosters a vibrant camp community where we all look out for each other and take care of the world around us. Staff are central to carrying out this vision by crafting programs that are in line with our educational outcomes, beliefs, and providing positive, enthusiastic energy every day. We expect staff above all to deliver the wow!
Inclusion Counselors support all campers with special needs either in a push in and rotating setting, or in 2:1 staffing ratio with more consistent support throughout the day.
DUTIES DURING CAMP
- Promote a culture of inclusivity where every camper feels that they belong and can participate in every aspect of camp.
- Support campers of differing abilities and needs and provide the highest level of care.
- keep track of individualized behavior plans and implement the plans in accordance with the Inclusion Director's and family's instructions.
- Provide ongoing feedback and updates to the Inclusion Coordinators as to camper growth, and progress.
- Assist campers in locker room with preparing for and changing out of swim
- Facilitate relationships and play between campers and their peers
- Be familiar with and enforce the personnel policies, safety rules, and program of camp.
- Model appropriate behavior to campers, and use positive behavior-management techniques with participants
- Communicate with campers' families through two-way notebooks, and/progress reports.
- Keep records as required, including documenting all incidents and behavioral issue.
- Attend and participate in all pre-camp trainings, camp meetings, activities and special programs.
- Perform any other program or agency-related duties or special projects as directed by supervisor.
- Participate alongside camper in all camp activities, including swim, sports, etc.**
- Must be entering senior year of High school or equivalent
- Previous experience working with children with varying abilities and needs
- Strong communication skills and patience
- Extremely flexible and ability to adapt to changing needs
Status:Full-time Seasonal, Mondays through Fridays, June 29th - August 21st. 50-55 hours of staff training in May and June, including supplemental training for working with campers with special needs.
Hours: 8:00am-5:00pm during the summer
Established in 1917 as one of the first Jewish community centers in New York City, the YM & YWHA of Washington Heights and Inwood (the Y) is a thriving and visionary not-for-profit human services organization in Northern Manhattan. We welcome people of diverse ethnicities and all ages, from pre-school to older adults, into the Y family with a wide range of educational, recreational and social services and programs that focus on improving the quality of their lives. With a long and distinguished history, the Y is a multi-service community center that is well known for its nurturing environment and non-judgmental philosophy.
Date Posted: 03/06/2020
Title: Inclusion Counselors, Camp Twelve Trails
JCC: YM & YWHA of Washington Heights & Inwood
Location: New York, NY