The New School Lab Supervisor – University Center in New York, New York
Introduction: The New School in NYC is the only university where a world-renowned design school comes together with premier undergraduate and graduate programs and colleges to seek out ways to create a more just, beautiful, and better-designed world. Learning Space Operations, support Information Technology’s pursuit to provide The New School Community with top notch customer service and succeed in our mission of “Making IT Easy for You!”. We are looking for a customer service professional with supervisory experience to join our team as a part time Lab Supervisor. Reporting to the Assistant Manager of Learning Space Operations, the Lab Supervisor will work with and supervise Lab Aides (Student Workers) to maintain operational support of our Learning Spaces.
• Provide tier 1 of support at the front desk.
• Direct oversight and training of Lab Aides (Student Workers), providing patron customer service and support.
• Escalate incidents and problems to management or technical staff according to procedures for resolution. • Presentation Room AV basic troubleshooting. • Work in tandem with the Manager on Duty (MOD) to ensure facilities operations are running as intended. • Manage the checkout and return of equipment and rooms at designated locations, including but not limited to laptops, scanner accessories and headphones. • Monitor and ensure that consumables, including toner and paper, are replaced as needed.
• Manage inventory of consumables at designated locations.
• Have availability to work daytime, night, overnight and weekend hours. • Adhere to policies on Vacation use limitations. (Blackout periods during finals, etc.) • Administrative tasks according to assigned focus areas, which includes quality control and service assurance of Learning Space services and facilities, preventative maintenance, records keeping, part-time schedule hour tracking, testing new systems and other seasonal projects in preparation for the start of each academic term, finals and overnight support. • Maintain and send daily shift reports at the end of each shift. • Other projects and duties as assigned.
• Clear and professional verbal, written and email communication skills. • Maintain and update technical skills on the latests technologies. • Able to grasp and maintain technical knowledge. • Flexibility to change hours and locations if necessary to accommodate new University or departmental needs. • Radio communication skills. • Ability to defuse/mediate conflict towards resolution. • Effectively communicate with the management team, other supervisors and the lab staff, following Information Technology and University protocols. • Maintain a working knowledge of Windows and Mac Platforms, MS Office, including Excel and Word, Printers and plotters, Audio/Video equipment and other software as required per location. • Learn and become efficient at new software and hardware as needed • Meet professional expectations such as schedule, check in/check out, shift reports, etc. • Train, supervise, lead and mentor part time staff, building up skills. • Ability to efficiently and effectively manage time. • Capable of lifting at least 50 lbs; physical work including but not limited to moving equipment, setting up equipment, working on under desk mounts.
• Experience in an Academic Environment • Experience with photo printing, fabric prototype printing and multimedia print management.