ASPCA Licensed Veterinary Technician, Kitten Nursery in New York, New York
Please make sure to attach both a resume and cover letter to complete your application.
If you are passionate about delivering high-quality nursing care to animals in need, and you thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic and complex environment, the position of Licensed Veterinary Technician (LVT) at the ASPCA Kitten Nursery may be for you. As a key member of the medical team, youll closely partner with the veterinarians and other colleagues to deliver excellent patient care, and will work collaboratively and effectively with internal and external stakeholders to further the ASPCAs ultimate desired outcome that all animals live good lives.
The Kitten Nursery cares for over 1,500 underage kittens and their mothers in a dedicated nursery environment as well as through an expanding foster program. Once these kittens are healthy and happy 8-week-olds, the Kitten Nursery helps them get ready for adoption through the ASPCA Adoption Center and partner shelters.
To succeed in this role, the LVT will deliver compassionate nursing care and assist the veterinarians with examinations, treatments, and diagnostic testing procedures following low-stress handling principles and shelter medicine best practices. Success also hinges on the ability to collaborate with other teams at the Kitten Nursery and Adoption Center to ensure the animals physical and behavioral needs are met on both an individual patient and population level.
This is a full time/40 hours a week, seasonal position (March-November)
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
NURSING CARE AND VETERINARY SUPPORT (70%)
* Perform exams and provide clinical care for healthy and medically compromised neonates and kittens housed at the nursery and/or in foster care according to Nursery protocols
* Provide compassionate nursing for kittens and cats, including syringe feeding; administration of injectable, topical, oral and ophthalmic medications; nebulization
* Assist the Veterinarian and other team members with examinations and medical treatments or procedures
* Perform and submit diagnostic tests as requested by the veterinarian(s)
* Closely observe animals for signs of illness, injury, and/or poor welfare. Document and communicate this information on monitoring sheets, in patient medical records, and/or directly to colleagues
* Continually monitor the nursery population for general well-being, signs of illness, and behavior concerns; communicate findings to appropriate team members as outlined in SOPs
* Assess needs of kittens to help determine appropriate placement within the nursery and/or in foster care, based on age and health
* Handle and nurture kittens and queens appropriately, utilizing low-stress techniques consistent with established ASPCA protocols
* Handle, administer, and log controlled substances under the direction of a veterinarian and in accordance with Kitten Nursery SOPs
* Assist with and/or perform humane euthanasia under the supervision of staff veterinarians.
* Adhere to guidelines set forth in the Nursery Protocols to prevent infectious disease
* Assist with bottle and syringe feeding, and graduating kittens to the next stage of growth
* Assist with cleaning and disinfection as requested
* Collaborate with DVMs and Neonate Specialists to ensure continuity of care
* Provide guidance to ASPCA volunteers while on duty
* Perform related duties as assigned
RECORD-KEEPING AND COMMUNICATION (30%)
* Ensure accurate and timely data entry to animals medical records, including transfer of information from other ASPCA departments software systems and diagnostic test results from outside laboratories
* Attend and actively participate in daily rounds; round medical charts
* Assist with identification of potential foster candidates and prepare them for foster placement
* Assist the Foster team with any necessary medical communication required for Foster patients
* Engage in provi...