City Harvest Major Gifts Officer in New York, New York
City Harvest isNew York's first and largest food rescue organization, helping to feed millions of New Yorkers who struggle to put meals on their tables. This year, we will rescue 144 million pounds of fresh, nutritious food and deliver it-free of charge-to more than 400 food pantries, soup kitchens, community partners, and our own mobile markets across the five boroughs. We work alongside our community partners to boost community capacity, expand nutrition education, and strengthen local food systems. For more than 35 years, City Harvest has always been there to feed our city-one day, one meal, one New Yorker at a time. To learn more, please visit www.cityharvest.org.
City Harvest seeks aMajor Gifts Officerwith five years of major gift fundraising experience to work on a dynamic development team at New York City’s largest food rescue organization. The Major Gifts Officer is a self-motivated, confident, and experienced fundraiser responsible for the cultivation, tracking, and solicitation of requests for major gifts of $10K+.
This position is based in our Midtown Manhattan office and will report to the Associate Director, Major Gifts.
- Manage a portfolio of 125 major gift prospects and donors.
- Create highly personalized and often handwritten correspondence with City Harvest updates on interest-specific topics, thank you notes, offers/info on-site visits, etc.
- Meet with donors (site visits/volunteering/tours/coffee); gather information on donor interests and background; develop strategy and planning for individual cultivation.
- Work collaboratively across the Development department (Major Gifts, Special Events, Corporate and Foundation Relations, and Development Operations) to ensure we’re utilizing City Harvest resources as effectively as possible to cultivate, steward, and solicit support.
- Become a City Harvest “expert” and excel in telling our story. Work closely with various parts of the organization (e.g. Operations, Programs, Volunteer Services, etc.) to organize site visits and bring our work to life for donors and prospective supporters.
- Support the senior staff with donor communications and/engagement; help to develop and implement short and long-term donor strategies.
- Conduct general administrative tasks including entering actions/correspondence in Raiser's Edge, financial analysis, research, etc.
- Bachelor’s degree is preferred.
- Five years of major gift experience in a fast-paced nonprofit fundraising environment.
- Two to three years of experience personally soliciting individual major gifts is essential. Experience working in a major gift environment that frequently utilizes special events is a plus.
- Exceptional communication skills with a proven ability to successfully develop strong relationships with donors.
- Must be able to operate effectively as part of a team and independently.
- Must be creative, not afraid of hearing “no”, and have the ability to bring new ideas to life.
- The ideal candidate is able to provide outstanding customer service to internal and external stakeholders.
- Must be comfortable and able to work effectively with numbers, budgets, and data.
- Strategic mindset with an ability to think and focus on both the near- and long-term.
- The ideal individual adapts to changes in a fast-paced work environment and deals easily with unexpected events.
- Available evenings and weekends for donor visits and events as needed.
- Sense of humor and curiosity to learn.
- Raiser’s Edge and Microsoft Office proficiency is a must.
There are many fantastic reasons to choose a career with City Harvest. In addition to fighting food insecurity in New York, City Harvest offers a competitive salary, full benefits (including medical, dental, and vision) with employer contributions towards premiums, employer-provided life insurance, and a 403(b) retirement savings plan with matching employer contributions. We also offer discounted staff perks (movie tickets, gym memberships, cellular plans, etc.), generous time off, and professional development opportunities.
City Harvest’s warehouse and distribution will be located out of Long Island City / Sunnyside, Queens starting in April. City Harvest will be moving all our operations to Sunset Park, Brooklyn, starting in Summer 2021.
At City Harvest, we enjoy working in a team-based environment and value the benefits of a diversified workplace. City Harvest is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Job Title: Major Gifts Officer
Date Posted: 03/17/2021
Requisition ID: 1376