Ross Stores, Inc. Merchant Leadership Role in New York, New York
Welcome to Ross Stores, Inc., where our differences make us stronger… At Ross and dd’s, inclusion is a way of life. We care about our Associates and the communities we serve and we value their differences. We are committed to building diverse teams and an inclusive culture. We respect and celebrate the diversity of backgrounds, identities, and ideas of those who work and shop with us. Come join us as we continue our diversity, equality and inclusion journey!
Merchant Leadership Role
About Ross Stores, Inc.
Since 1982, our focus has been on bringing our customers a constant stream of high quality brands and trends at extraordinary savings, while providing a fun and exciting treasure hunt experience. We believe in keeping things simple: no expensive signage, displays or fancy fixtures - to us, it's far more meaningful to pass greater savings on to our customers with on trend apparel, accessories, footwear, and home furnishings. With more than 1,800 stores, including Ross Dress for Less and dd's DISCOUNTS, we are the nation's largest off-price retail chain, and we continue to grow at a rate far outpacing traditional retail.
With corporate headquarters located in Dublin, CA, we have three buying offices positioned in key markets in New York City, Los Angeles, and Boston, as well as six state-of-the-art distribution centers across the country. With FY2019 revenues of $16 billion, we are a Fortune 500, S&P 500, and Nasdaq 100 Company, committed to offering an inclusive, safe and positive workplace. Come see what's in store.
As part of the Ross family you will experience:
- A respectful culture embedded with collaborative partnerships and humility
- Opportunities to give back to your community through national charities, local volunteer initiatives, and our Ross Cares Fund
- A significant investment in your career through extensive onboarding programs, continuous learning opportunities, ongoing development and the opportunity to work with engaged and knowledgeable industry leaders
Additional information is available at: https://jobs.rossstores.com/creative/about
About this opportunity ....
Ross' business is driven by merchants who are market savvy, adept at building strong relationships with the vendors, are aggressive negotiators, and who maintain the highest level of integrity. Ross merchants must be "hands-on", responsive, available, and excited about spending most of their time in the market. Ross merchants typically drive the buying, planning and merchandising process and are not involved in operations, marketing, store design or allocation. The intensity of market involvement is always the primary emphasis.
- Provide creative leadership and strategic direction.
- Develop long-range plans to respond to the needs of the business and the availability of the marketplace.
- Identify current and upcoming fashion trends to translate and incorporate those trends into meaningful opportunities for the Ross customer at the right value.
- Direct selection and purchase of merchandise for stores.
- Provide direction in sales planning, pricing and merchandise assortment.
- Establish annual volume, margin and open-to-buy plans for each category.
- Monitor stock, sales and markdowns to ensure that plans are met.
- Recommend and establish company purchasing policies and procedures.
- Review/approve (with each Buyer) vendors and vendor plans, as well as assortment plans to ensure maximization of sales.
- Recommend/implement and conduct performance appraisals of direct reports. Assist in coaching/counseling as needed.
- Drive importance of proper assessment of all merchants.
- Gross margin and merchandising expense control
- Merchandising budgets
- Merchandising calendar
- Effective assessment and development of staff
Who you are ...
- You have a proven track-record in retail with at least 10 - 15 years, which includes 3 - 5 years successful prior leadership/management experience at the DMM level.
- You are a student of retail with an in-depth understanding of successful competitors and overall strategies and practices.
- You have a good taste level and fashion sense with proven talent to envision and interpret fashion trends. Ability to quickly understand market opportunities and create effective merchandising strategies to capitalize on them.
- You are able to develop/refine key merchandise strategies and to be market savvy. Will be keenly aware of how to develop vendor relationships and vendor strategies.
- You have proven skill in successful strategic business planning and expansion of existing and new businesses. Ability to drive and lead accelerated growth.
- You have had experience with/exposure to the product development process.
- You have well-developed ethical standards of professional behavior.
- You have motivated management and leadership skills which demonstrate the ability to inspire enthusiasm, enhance productivity, individual growth, ensure effectiveness and foster loyalty.
- You have well-developed numerical and analytical skills with reference to merchandise, vendor, assortment planning; inventory/stock level control; identification and development of "core business"; identification and development of new business trends; and shortage control efforts.
- You are a team player that works well in a very fast paced and collaborative environment.
- You have an Undergraduate Degree (preferred).
Perks and Benefits of joining our team....
Our Associates are at the heart of everything we do and we're proud to offer a range of benefits that reflect how much we value their contributions. Here's a peek into what you can expect as an eligible Ross Associate:
- A broad range of affordable health insurance options*, 401(k) with employer match*, life insurance*
- Ample PTO, paid holidays, and Summer Fridays, as well as the opportunity to purchase additional vacation*
- Employee stock purchase plan*
- Charitable donations matched by Ross Stores Foundation
- Enhanced maternity and bonding leaves with 100% income replacement*
- Parent support programs
- And more....
* eligibility may vary based on level and tenure, subject to change