Ross Stores, Inc. Merchant Leadership Role in New York, New York
About Ross Stores:
Ross Stores, Inc. is an S&P 500, Fortune 500 and Nasdaq 100 (ROST) Company headquartered in Dublin, California, with fiscal 2018 revenues of $15 billion. The Company operates Ross Dress for Less® (“Ross”), the largest off-price apparel and home fashion chain in the United States with 1,480 locations in 38 states, the District of Columbia and Guam. The Company also operates over 230 dd’s DISCOUNTS® locations in 18 states that feature a more moderately-priced assortment of first-quality, in-season, name brand apparel, accessories, footwear and home fashions for the entire family at everyday savings.
The company’s merchandise mix and assortments are constantly evolving as merchants and planners focus on what customers want to buy and respond by delivering great discounts on a wider variety of name brand merchandise. With its solid management team, proven off-price concept, strong cash flow and return on equity, Ross is ideally positioned to successfully execute its growth strategies.
At Ross you will find:
• A career that fits you
• Amazing culture and people
• Big company with a family feeling
• Customer focus
Are you ready for the next big move in your career? We look forward to hearing from you!
The culture demands hands-on, close engagement at all levels, and the ability to think and act strategically. Within this culture, there are many opportunities to attain and even exceed personal goals quickly while partnering with professionals across multiple categories. This creates a win-win culture with a rigorous standard of performance for everyone.
Structured for growth and profitability, individuals are measured on performance rather than process. What this yields is an environment that is invigorating and offers a clear, compelling reward system for the team.
Additional information is available at:
About this job:
Ross’ business is driven by merchants who are market savvy, adept at building strong relationships with the vendors, are aggressive negotiators, and who maintain the highest level of integrity. Ross merchants must be “hands-on”, responsive, available, and excited about spending most of their time in the market. Ross merchants typically drive the buying, planning and merchandising process and are not involved in operations, marketing, store design or allocation. The intensity of market involvement is always the primary emphasis.
- Provide creative leadership and strategic direction.
- Develop long-range plans to respond to the needs of the business and the availability of the marketplace.
- Identify current and upcoming fashion trends to translate and incorporate those trends into meaningful opportunities for the Ross customer at the right value.
- Direct selection and purchase of merchandise for stores.
- Provide direction in sales planning, pricing and merchandise assortment.
- Establish annual volume, margin and open-to-buy plans for each category.
- Monitor stock, sales and markdowns to ensure that plans are met.
- Recommend and establish company purchasing policies and procedures.
- Review/approve (with each Buyer) vendors and vendor plans, as well as assortment plans to ensure maximization of sales.
- Recommend/implement and conduct performance appraisals of direct reports. Assist in coaching/counseling as needed.
- Drive importance of proper assessment of all merchants.
- Sales volume
- Gross margin and merchandising expense control
- Merchandising budgets
- Merchandising calendar
- Effective assessment and development of staff
Desired Skills Qualifications:
- Proven track-record in retail at least 10 – 15 years, which includes 3 – 5 years successful prior leadership/management experience at the DMM level.
- Student of retail with an in-depth understanding of successful competitors and overall strategies and practices.
- Must have good taste level and fashion sense with proven talent to envision and interpret fashion trends. Ability to quickly understand market opportunities and create effective merchandising strategies to capitalize on them.
- Must be able to develop/refine key merchandise strategies and to be market savvy. Will be keenly aware of how to develop vendor relationships and vendor strategies.
- Proven skill in successful strategic business planning and expansion of existing and new businesses. Ability to drive and lead accelerated growth.
- Experience with/exposure to the product development process.
- Well-developed ethical standards of professional behavior.
- Motivated management and leadership skills which demonstrate the ability to inspire enthusiasm, enhance productivity, individual growth, ensure effectiveness and foster loyalty.
- Well-developed numerical and analytical skills with reference to merchandise, vendor, assortment planning; inventory/stock level control; identification and development of “core business”; identification and development of new business trends; and shortage control efforts.
- A team player that works well in a very fast paced and collaborative environment.
Undergraduate Degree preferred