New York Edge Part-Time After School Program Director in New York, New York
Locations:Queens, The Bronx & Manhattan
The mission of New York Edge is to help bridge the opportunity gap among underserved students by providing programs designed to improve academic performance, health and wellness, self-confidence, character and attitudes for success in life.
The Program Director has overall accountability for the growth, quality and success of the program operation, its students and staff. The primary responsibility of the Program Director is to manage the day-to-day operations in order to ensure that New York Edge quality standards and guidelines are met and that the program is meeting all contract requirements. The Program Director works in conjunction with key school personnel and New York Edge staff to implement the 3 Season Program Model. He/she fosters an atmosphere of fun and learning utilizing a broad range of sports and arts related activities where the concept of teamwork, fair play and sportsmanship can flourish and serve as a role model to youth. The Program Director always conducts him/herself in the utmost professional manner and always maintains appropriate Boundaries. New York Edge Program Director must embrace positive child and youth development principles and practices. These include building on youth strengths rather than focusing on youth deficits; setting and maintaining high expectations; understanding the centrality of and fostering positive relationships with peers and adults; providing age-appropriate and challenging programming; engaging participants as partners, not just as consumers of services; promoting positive identity formation and helping young people to fully develop their potential. New York Edge Program Directors respect and value the cultures and traditions of participants, their families and their communities, and treat all participants and staff equally, irrespective of race, religion, sex, gender identity, national origin, age or disability. New York Edge Program Directors must appreciate the range of abilities and diverse needs of children and youth in our programs. Our programs typically run from 3pm-6pm during the week and we often have opportunities throughout the 5 boroughs.
Essential Job Functions:
• Accountable for ensuring New York Edge maintains an emotionally and physically safe environment for youth that meets all compliance and safety requirements set forth by the organization, DOE, DOH, funders and applicable labor law.
• Establishes a combination of program activities to provide academic support, skill-driven sports, fitness and wellness activities, and visual and performing arts instruction.
• Organizes special and culminating events, including showcases that highlight student achievement and culturally enriching field trips.
• Responsible for the development and implementation of innovative and age appropriate curriculums, enrichment activities, and theme based projects taking into consideration the youth needs and abilities.
• Creates and distributes schedule of all activities and ensures appropriate record keeping and reporting of all youth attendance.
• Familiar with and adheres to all New York Edge procedures for trips, transportation and events.
• Ensures youth and their families are properly informed and prepared for all special events.
• Prepares and distributes written materials, including flyers, brochures, newsletters, and posting on the school bulletin board.
• Ultimate responsibility for the appropriate behavior and conduct of youth at the site and on trips. Promotes positive character development in all youth.
• Resolves any youth related issues as they arise.
• Responsible for recruitment and supervision of participants. This may include calling, e-mailing, and posting announcements, holding information sessions, encouraging youth, answering applicant questions and other strategies to motivate youth to enroll and continue participation on a consistent basis.
• Responsible for recruitment and supervision of dedicated staff that meet the highest standards of qualifications in being able to carry out the New York Edge mission and goals of the after-school program.
• Provides site based support, development and recognition for all staff in the Champions Club program in order to ensure success in the implementation of program objectives.
• Takes photographs of site activities and provides to Development and Marketing Department.
• Collaborates with Program Manager on all sub-contract and Consultant activities performed at site prior to commencement of any services. Relationship and Partnership Management
• Cultivates and forges positive relations with Principal, Assistant Principals, school district administrators, teachers, parents and parent coordinators and other key constituents in the community while actively seeking to raise their awareness of our Champions Club program and engage their support in ensuring programmatic quality for the youth we serve.
• Collaborates with Principal and Assistant Principals on program delivery to align with the goals in relation to student achievement and performance.
• Establishes parent involvement in areas of advocacy, special events, daily operations, education, and trips.
• Promotes the site in the community through flyer distribution, school visits, and attendance at meetings.
• Creates and distributes program updates, attend outreach events and establish successful communication as the organization’s lead ambassador.
• Identifies and utilizes community resources, including other schools, libraries, community and local government agencies.
• Keeps Program Manager informed of pertinent site information, including any challenges in fulfilling responsibilities. Operations
• Ensures site is compliant with DOE and DOHMH regulations and timelines.
• Monitors and ensures all program compliance, including but not limited to student registration, ratios, attendance tracking, IDs, and building permits.
• Bilingual preferred
• Ensures that student attendance information is being properly collected and delivered to Data department on a weekly basis.
• Ensures that new hires have taken appropriate steps prior to beginning work assignments (i.e., DOE background clearance, attended and completed required trainings, and all required HR paperwork completed).
• Ensures timesheets are accurately completed and submitted to Payroll on time.
• Maintains accurate records on site (i.e., file box, staff files, program flyers, materials, schedule and curriculum).
• Reports site injuries via appropriate forms and immediately communicate incidents with school and New York Edge personnel. • Assist Program Manager in ensuring budgetary compliance and with submission of any required documents or reports to funding sources.
• Tracks and cares for all equipment and supplies used by New York Edge.
• Passion for New York Edge mission and youth development
• Reliable, organized and punctual
• Knowledge of effective sports, arts, and academic programming
• Expert understanding of New York City and New York State education requirements in an urban setting
• Strong leader and team-builder
• Ability to resolve conflicts and negotiate solutions
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with program staff and school partners
• Excellent communication (oral and written) and interpersonal skills with proven ability to interact with a diverse range of individuals both in person and over the phone, applying tact and discretion as situations demand
• Must have excellent organizational, time management and follow-up skills
• Must be able to clearly articulate outcome requirements and provide the necessary and appropriate resources and support for Activity Specialists, Teachers and Group Leaders to successfully deliver on objectives
• Responsible and professional conduct that serves as role model to staff and youth
• Exhibits strong character traits and exercises patience and creativity while seeking win-win scenarios
• Ability to set priorities and meet deadlines
• Must demonstrate ability to manage multiple priorities simultaneously
• Proficiency in Microsoft Excel, Outlook, and Word
• Bachelor’s degree required with preference in Education, Psychology, or Social Work
• 18 credit hours from an accredited college or university in the field of Child Development, Elementary Education, Physical Education, Recreation or a related field preferred
• Must have passion for New York Edge mission and demonstrated interest in the field of education and youth development.
• Prior work experience in urban education, including supervisory experience
• Teaching and after school management experience preferred
• All Program Directors are required to complete a mandatory 15-hour OCFS Health and Safety Classroom course within three (3) months of employment to maintain Department of Health and Mental Hygiene compliance at site.
At time of offer and acceptance, the job requires safety and security clearances through the Department of Education and Department of Health.
New York Edge is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
Disclaimer: The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the employee in this position. These statements are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of a person in this position.
EOE Minorities / Females / Protected Veterans / Disabled