Amazon Web Services Principal Technical Product Manager in New York, New York
Amazon Web Services Analytics Team is one of the most dynamic, rapidly-growing teams; and is the leader in Data and Analytics services that help companies (from early-stage startups to large enterprises) innovate across the globe.
We are seeking a seasoned product and organization leader accomplished in technology delivery, product innovation, building high performing, multi-functional teams capable of defining and delivering complex products that leverage data and analytics to unblock transformational business value for our customers. You will work with a broad, collaborative organization of software developers, product managers, UX designers, marketing, sales and business development, subject matter experts, solutions architects, usability researchers. You will design, evangelize, and deliver state-of-the-art Analytics products, with and for our customers. A successful candidate can lead a team to explore with C-suite executives, raise the product technology bar across the Analytics & ML portfolios, make strategic trade-offs between short term opportunity and long-term sustainable industry change, think holistically about the product landscape, and incubate game-changing technology in the face of ambiguous and sometimes shifting requirements.
Each Analytics team is like a start-up. As a product leader in this fast and exciting space, you and your collaborators will own early market development for new offerings as well as growth for existing offerings. You will drive the product portfolio vision in conjunction with your counterparts in product and engineering, develop a production execution strategy, and be responsible for measuring and achieving business results. A successful candidate will have a demonstrated ability to think strategically and analytically about business, product, and technical challenges, with the ability to build and convey compelling value propositions, work cross-organizationally to deliver results, and dive technically deep to lead customer engagement decisions. You will engage with customers from start-ups to Fortune 100 companies, helping them succeed with the product and learning from their feedback. You will engage, influence, and align peers and senior leaders on product vision, product roadmap, and go-to-market activities. You will work with colleagues across product management, software engineering, UX design, technical writing, solutions architecture, sales, marketing, and support to execute on product development and go-to-market initiatives. You will also be required to mentor and grow junior staff.
A day in the life
About the hiring group
• You own the business and product definition, and actively contribute to the delivery of a suite of services pertaining to Data Analytics. You accelerate the products' adoption and credibility. You identify and enroll key early adopters, early wins, high-impact and high-velocity business motions, scale partners.
• You define the 3–5-year product vision, have a long-term roadmap, and drive an interdisciplinary team to execute on that vision. You own customer engagement from service awareness, adoption, performance, and evolution. You take point on product reliability issues impacting key customers.
• You design value proposition for our services and you own alignment with, and communication for, large audiences including internal engineering org, external customer decision-makers, PR, Marketing, Business Development, and Sales.
• Your product and professional services management expertise and track record is noteworthy (e.g., planned and delivered service solutions resulting in significant and increased value to the customer: cost reduction, performance improvement, customer innovation).
• You identify and proactively manage areas of business importance related to your industry: customer value, market opportunity, top deals, financial and legal compliance, endemic service architecture problems, customer engagement resourcing, and any other large risks.
• You are able to distinguish between one-way and two-way doors. Your high judgment has led to smart risks and/or innovations with two-way doors.
• You are adept at building consensus. You align teams towards coherent technology and business strategies. You bring clarity to complexity, probe assumptions, illuminate pitfalls, and foster shared understanding.
• You partner effectively with other leaders involved in the design, development, marketing, and sale of your services. You are able to influence their roadmap priorities and reach consensus on approach/prioritization.
• You are flexible, adapting your approach to meet the needs of design, engineering project, sales, and marketing teams. You ensure schedules are reasonable and aligned to consistently deliver successfully without wearing out key individuals.
• You actively recruit for Amazon as well as participate in the hiring/interview process. You play a significant role in the career development of other PMTs, TPMs, and SDMs by actively mentoring and educating the larger community on technical product management best practices.
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon’s culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 16 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. It isn’t about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it’s about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we’re building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded professional and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
• Bachelor's degree or relevant equivalent experience
• At least seven years of work experience, including roles such as a product manager, professional services manager, and engineer (software, database, data, devops, systems, etc)
• Experience taking at least one large-scale products or major solutions through specification, planning, launch, and subsequent improvement; where scope involved working with at least one engineering team as well as partners in other stake-holding departments
• Proven track record of building and developing cross-functional teams
• Success in building game-changing product/solution portfolios
• Expertise in delivering business and technology results for complex, cross-functional initiatives while managing multiple competing priorities
• Established leadership with end-to-end product delivery and direct customer collaboration
• Experience driving organizational strategy and solution-level design thinking
• Data and Analytics applications business acumen and instinct with strong analytical and quantitative skills
• Creativity in designing product mechanisms and models
• MSc/MBA or equivalent relevant experience
• Exhibits excellent, clear, and detail-oriented written and verbal communications on highly complex topics.
• Ability to develop complex delivery projects, multi-party business justifications including financial modeling and business transformation scenarios
• Experience leading a nimble team or delivering disruptive technologies at scale in the healthcare and life sciences domain
• Strong written and verbal communication skills
• Experience making product decisions using judgment and data, including collaborating with customers and internal partners to solicit diverse perspectives
• Experience negotiating, influencing, planning, and executing across teams
• Experience in pricing a product or feature, or in defining and executing a go-to-market strategy
Amazon Web Services
- Amazon Web Services Jobs