University Settlement/The Door/Broome Street Academy Science Teacher in New York, New York
The Broome Street Academy Charter High School will prepare our young people for post-secondary success that leads to positive life outcomes. We value student strengths and will provide multiple pathways to success through a curriculum of rigorous academic, career and social instruction grounded in the principles of positive youth development. We value a learning environment that fosters learning by developing students’ strengths and providing a safe and supportive setting.
As the Science Teacher, you will teach plan and provide an engaging and appropriate learning environment for a diverse group of learners.
What You Will Be Doing:
● Teach 5 classes and/or the equivalent responsibilities; teach where needed regardless certification or training
● Record proper attendance for every class assigned
● Serve as an advisor to small group of students
● Ensure students achieve goals set forth in SUNY Accountability Plan
● Develop lessons aligned with NY State and Common Core Standards
● Update gradebook weekly
● Differentiate instruction to meet the needs of all students
● Prepare students for all required assessments
● Participate in all required School professional development and scheduled meetings
● Actively pursue certification and/or professional development
● Communicate with caregivers
● Maintain a welcoming and safe classroom environment and engage students
● Maintain a clean and clutter free room
What We Are Looking For:
● You have a Bachelor’s degree
● You are an expert and enthusiast in subject area as shown by significant undergraduate or graduate coursework in content area or teaching certification
● A huge plus if you have dual-certification and/or experience with Special Education.
● Demonstrated ability to evaluate assessments
● Familiarity with trauma informed practice
● Effective work ethic as a team member
● You have a knack for engaging youth and the ability to apply positive youth development practices
● You have a strong commitment to advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion
Why You Should Join Our Team:
● You want to empower students
● 403(b) Pension Plan through Mutual of America
● Comprehensive medical and dental coverage
● Life/LTD Insurance
● Flexible Spending Account and Pre- Tax Commuter Program
● Summer vacations!