National Audubon Society Seasonal Biological Technician in New York, New York
National Audubon Society
Seasonal Biological Technician
Job ID: 2024-5638
Type: Seasonal, Full-Time
# of Openings: 1
National Audubon Society
The National Audubon Society is a nonprofit conservation organization that protects birds and the places they need today and tomorrow. We work throughout the Americas towards a future where birds thrive because Audubon is a powerful, diverse, and ever-growing force for conservation. Audubon has more than 700 staff working across the hemisphere and more than 1.5 million active supporters.
North America has lost three billion birds since 1970, and more than 500 bird species are at risk of extinction across Latin America and the Caribbean. Birds act as early warning systems about the health of our environment, and they tell us that birds – and our planet – are in crisis. Together as one Audubon, we are working to alter the course of climate change and habitat loss, leading to healthier bird populations and reversing current trends in biodiversity loss. We do this by implementing on-the-ground conservation, partnering with local communities, influencing public and corporate policy, and building community.
Audubon is committed to a culture of workplace excellence, where our talented and diverse staff are deeply engaged with a strong sense of belonging. The birds Audubon pledges to protect differ in color, size, behavior, geographical preference, and countless other ways. By honoring and celebrating the equally remarkable diversity of the human species, Audubon brings new creativity, effectiveness, and leadership to our work throughout the hemisphere.
Audubon Connecticut and New York is seeking two full-time Seasonal Biological Technicians to conduct forest breeding bird surveys in the Allegheny Highlands of NY and PA, and northeastern NY. The Seasonal Biological Technicians will conduct point-count and vegetation surveys in forested areas in the spring and early summer. The Technicians will also enter point-count and vegetation survey data. The positions start May 13th and could last until June 30th (dates may vary due to weather conditions). A flexible and either part-time or full-time work schedule is feasible based on candidate’s availability. Housing is not provided. Applicants will be accepted until the position is filled.
This role is remote, with work occurring in Allegheny Highlands and Washington County, New York.
$18.00 / hour
- Navigate to points using GPS applications and other orienteering methods.
- Correctly identify forest birds by sight or sound.
- Follow a protocol to conduct bird point count surveys and collect detailed information on bird
species. locations, timing, and movements.
- Follow a protocol to conduct vegetation surveys at point count plots: identify tree and shrub species, including non-native and/or invasive plants; measure tree diameter-at-breast height; estimate canopy cover at multiple levels; calculate basal area using a prism (10 factor). Measuring or assessing additional forest characteristics may be required.
- Accurately record bird and vegetation data on data sheets.
- Meticulously enter data into computer databases and upload into eBird.
- Collect, record, summarize, organize, and/or file data using various standardized data collection procedures and equipment.
- Assist with facilitation of monitoring and logistics. This may include planning and scheduling travel to point count locations and timely completion of data entry.
- Working toward or currently have a bachelor’s degree in Biology, Ecology, Conservation, Natural sciences, or related field desired.
- 2-3 years of experience conducting forest bird point-count and vegetation surveys in northeastern forests.
- Willingness and flexibility to work early morning hours.
- Thorough attention to detail and data entry skills.
- Thorough organization and communication skills.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite.
- Must hold a valid driver’s license. This position requires regular travel to point count locations and using rental vehicles (Audubon covers the cost of rental vehicles and will reimburse gas for rental vehicles.)
- Ability to work for prolonged periods of time, with or without accommodation, under difficult field conditions such as rugged or muddy terrain, forest undergrowth, high temps/humidity, and biting insects.
Apply Here: https://www.click2apply.net/4xwKemtYmMp1zS75QFyx2P
Minimum Salary: 18.00 Maximum Salary: 18.00 Salary Unit: Hourly