ASPCA Seasonal Foster Coordinator in New York, New York
Please make sure to attach both a resume and cover letter to complete your application.
Are you a friendly, detail-oriented people-person who thrives in creating efficiency Do you excel at open, effective communications to keep things on track in a fast-paced, dynamic environment Are you passionate about animal welfare and the goodness of people and do you possess a strong interest in finding opportunities for people to help cats in a real and tangible way If so, you should consider the role of Foster Coordinator to be part of a committed Kitten Nursery team working to support kittens and nursing queens in New York City.
The Kitten Nursery cares for over 1,500 underage kittens and their mothers in a dedicated nursery environment as well as through an expanding foster program. Once these kittens are healthy and happy 8-week-olds, the Kitten Nursery helps them get ready for adoption through the ASPCA Adoption Center and transfer to partner shelters.
The Foster Coordinator (the Coordinator) facilities the deep engagement in the mission of the ASPCA through the recruitment, management, support and celebration of hundreds of dedicated foster volunteers. He or she will play a key role in ensuring the health and well-being of the foster population by providing support and training for our foster volunteers as well as logistical needs, including scheduling medical check-up appointments and ordering supplies. The Coordinator will organize animal intake, movement, scheduling, and transfers to help maximize the efficiency and impact of Nursery operations and ensure positive outcomes for felines in this program.
This is a part time, 24 hour/week schedule.
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
* Cultivate positive and productive relationships with staff and with foster families to support positive animal outcomes
* Provide all foster volunteers with comprehensive training in disease control and prevention in their home, animal handling and safety techniques
* Provide supervision, modeling, coaching and ongoing guidance for foster families; provide excellent customer service and resolve issues as they arise
* Provide all foster families with direct, transparent communication about the purpose of their foster assignment and help those fostering animals with medical and/or behavioral risks to understand that humane euthanasia may ultimately be the appropriate outcome for that animal
* Ensure sufficient and appropriate supplies are distributed to the foster volunteers
* Manage a foster on deck process to find foster placement from the ASPCAs database of volunteers within 24 hours to ensure timely, efficient flow of animals into care
* Participate in daily Nursery Rounds and, in partnership with the Animal Logistics Manager and Director of Operations, ensure that animals are moving efficiently into and through foster homes, the Nursery, Adoption Center and transport; make adjustments to operations as needed to improve service and efficiency
* Maintain a daily census and foster tracking database; Monitor daily animal population in foster to identify opportunities for positive outcomes through adoption or transfer
* Work closely with the Adoption Center Animal Welfare, Medical, and Admissions & Matchmaking teams to coordinate appropriate animal selection, intake, and return from foster that meets animals needs and ensures humane and efficient animal flow
* Communicate regularly with Animal Care Centers of NYC (ACC) staff and other key stakeholders about Nursery capacity and potential daily intake of new kittens
* Coordinate with the medical and behavior teams to manage a streamlined approach for medical or behavioral support needed for new intakes, animals housed on site, and fosters
* Schedule appropriate services, including recheck examinations and Community Medicine and AAH appointments, to coincide with foster returns and timely, efficient movement througho...