Ross Stores, Inc. Senior Director, Product Technical Services in New York, New York
Welcome to Ross Stores, Inc., where our differences make us stronger… At Ross and dd’s, inclusion is a way of life. We care about our Associates and the communities we serve and we value their differences. We are committed to building diverse teams and an inclusive culture. We respect and celebrate the diversity of backgrounds, identities, and ideas of those who work and shop with us. Come join us as we continue our diversity, equality and inclusion journey!
Sr. Director, Product Technical Services
About Ross Stores, Inc.
Since 1982, our focus has been on bringing our customers a constant stream of high quality brands and trends at extraordinary savings, while providing a fun and exciting treasure hunt experience. We believe in keeping things simple: no expensive signage, displays or fancy fixtures - to us, it's far more meaningful to pass greater savings on to our customers with on trend apparel, accessories, footwear, and home furnishings. With more than 1,800 stores, including Ross Dress for Less and dd's DISCOUNTS, we are the nation's largest off-price retail chain, and we continue to grow at a rate far outpacing traditional retail.
With corporate headquarters located in Dublin, CA, we have three buying offices positioned in key markets in New York City, Los Angeles, and Boston, as well as six state-of-the-art distribution centers across the country. With FY2019 revenues of $16 billion, we are a Fortune 500, S&P 500, and Nasdaq 100 Company, committed to offering an inclusive, safe and positive workplace. Come see what's in store.
As part of the Ross family you will experience:
- A respectful culture embedded with collaborative partnerships and humility
- Opportunities to give back to your community through national charities, local volunteer initiatives, and our Ross Cares Fund
- A significant investment in your career through extensive onboarding programs, continuous learning opportunities, ongoing development and the opportunity to work with engaged and knowledgeable industry leaders
Additional information is available at: https://jobs.rossstores.com/creative/about
About this opportunity ....
Product Technical Services (PTS) provides technical expertise throughout the buying process of consumer goods and educates Merchants on technical topics such as fit, materials, construction and quality assurance.
The Senior Director, PTS, is a critical role on the team that brings a combination of deep technical expertise along with leadership and change management skills. The ideal candidate has a deep expertise in Apparel but the versatility to take on other product categories. This role will:
- Lead a team of product technicians - directing, coaching, and developing staff to deliver against operational objectives.
- Partner with Merchant leadership to determine how PTS can best support their business strategies.
- Act as a thought partner to Merchants / Sourcing on technical issues that teams encounter and work collaboratively to resolve day-to-day issues.
- Drive strategic initiatives and projects as the PTS function evolves in a dynamic, growth-oriented business environment - including process improvement, vendor certification / tiering program, and new ways of partnering with overseas counterparts.
Technical Services is a growing function at Ross. In addition to the managing day to day, we are looking for a strategic leader to ensure the right structure, processes and priorities are in place as we grow.
- Serve as liaison between Merchant Leadership and PTS team for Apparel areas. This includes understanding their business strategy, collaborating with Merchants on how PTS can best support them, and resolving day-to-day issues.
- Meet quarterly with Senior Leadership to review vendor performance and strategize for how PTS should focus their support; prepare analysis and presentations to support these reviews.
- Manage direct reports to achieve PTS and Merchant goals.
- Leverage deep product expertise to ensure team delivers strong operational results (across fitting, grading, construction, technical issue resolution).
- Create an effective work environment by developing a common vision, setting clear objectives, encouraging teamwork, recognizing outstanding performance and maintaining open communications.
- Participate and / or drive strategic initiatives with an eye toward efficiency and scaling - including process improvement, new ways of working (with vendors, with other functions, across offices).
- Influence change and gain support of senior Merchant leadership for necessary improvements and Support the set up and maintenance of vendor certification / tiering program based on Technical capabilities and performance metrics.
- Assess vendors' technical capabilities, and help coach and grow them to improve technical error rates.
- Translate Ross product needs in a way they will understand, speak "technical to technical" to drive Merchant needs with Vendors and help them be effective with Ross.additional initiatives.
- Work with key Merchant partners to understand gaps in technical knowledge that would help them drive their business.
- Determine best delivery mechanism (e.g., training class, joint store visits, product breakdowns, etc.).
- Support onboarding efforts across functions (in particular with key cross-functional partners like Sourcing, Fashion Office, etc.).
Who you are ...
- Bachelor's Degree in Business, Production, Sourcing, Technical Design or related field.
- 15+ years' experience in production, manufacturing or retail.
- Full understanding of technical, manufacturing and retail side of development.
- Strong comprehension of the product life cycle from a retail and manufacturing perspective.
- Experience working with and an understanding of the sourcing/operational aspects of overseas/domestic agents and factories.
- Excellent written and oral communication, presentation and follow-up skills.
- Strong critical thinking with a solution focused approach; ability to independently analyze information and make recommendations.
- Collaborative working style: Ability to balance needs of internal organization with focus on buyers with the needs of global garment partner base.
- Management experience leading and developing a team.
- Strong time management skills and planning and organizing skills. Ability to prioritize and multitask.
Perks and Benefits of joining our team....
Our Associates are at the heart of everything we do and we're proud to offer a range of benefits that reflect how much we value their contributions. Here's a peek into what you can expect as an eligible Ross Associate:
- A broad range of affordable health insurance options*, 401(k) with employer match*, life insurance*
- Ample PTO, paid holidays, and Summer Fridays, as well as the opportunity to purchase additional vacation*
- Employee stock purchase plan*
- Charitable donations matched by Ross Stores Foundation
- Enhanced maternity and bonding leaves with 100% income replacement*
- Parent support programs
- And more....
* eligibility may vary based on level and tenure, subject to change