Meredith Corporation Software Engineering Manager in New York, New York
Meredith Corporation Inc. is seeking an experienced, capable Software Engineering Manager to join its Consumer Engineering team and help transform how we create and tell stories across our over 40 iconic brands, including People, AllRecipes, InStyle, Martha Stewart Living and Better Homes & Gardens.
As an experienced technologist and a natural leader, reporting to the Vice President, Engineering - Consumer, you will represent the front-end engineering team in collaborations with product owners, project managers, QA testers, software engineers and systems engineers. You will help inform technical strategy, being cognizant of business goals, and socialize decisions among the team and its partners. Your background and passion is software development, particularly in the arena of Web front-end and consumer-facing experiences. You have broad, deep knowledge of modern front-development techniques and trends, and you are not done learning. You understand and will confidently address the challenges associated with delivering engaging, dynamic, reliable Web experiences to enormous numbers of discriminating users. You are capable of being hands-on with code and development tools and are eager to do so if required. You are a natural leader and a seasoned manager who will coax the best performance from our talented, committed front-end developers.
* A communicator: Whether written or oral, your communication skills are outstanding in any context. Your interactions with stakeholders and coworkers move business forward in a dynamic, exciting, entrepreneurial working environment. You are as good maybe better at listening as you are at talking and writing.
* A problem-solver: You re a results-oriented multi-tasker who runs toward a challenge. You re able to work on multiple projects simultaneously and think independently. You are personally committed to completing a project with a conscientious attitude and good follow-through. You see to it that all assignments are completed correctly and uphold department and company standards.
* A leader: As a member of the technical management team, you are respected, and your counsel is sought by developers and nontechnical partners. You advise senior management and help socialize business and technical strategic decisions to the front-line engineers. You are an evangelist for coding best practices, style and good documentation. You are an effective manager of people and embrace all responsibilities pleasant and otherwise associated with performance management and ensuring your team has what it needs to succeed.
* Accountable: You are the greatest critic of what you deliver. You are proud of your work, and you stand by it. You are humbled but not defeated by failure and accept it as a critical part of learning. You are honest and never blame or project frustrations onto others.
II. ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
ACCOUNTABILITIES, ACTIONS AND EXPECTED MEASURABLE RESULTS
ARCHITECTURE: Participate in technical design of new and expanding systems and infrastructure. Collaborate with back-end and systems teams on service definitions and interoperability.
SCOPE AND TIMELINE NEGOTIATION: Work with product owners and project managers within an agile methodology to clearly define business priorities, timelines and minimum viable product.
PROCESS DESIGN AND MANAGEMENT: Scrutinize and evolve the software-development life cycle. Keep abreast of trends in automation, continuous integration and tooling, and enhance processes to improve the developer and QA tester experiences.
STAFF MANAGEMENT: Regularly meet with direct reports to discuss job performance and goals. Effectively prioritize and delegate tasks. Conduct annual performance reviews.
INNOVATION: Stay close and hand-on with coding activity. Keep abreast of technology trends and tools. Encourage and foster a climate of innovation within the engineering team.
III. MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND JOB REQUIREMENTS - All must be met to be considered.
* Bachelor s degree
* 5+ years of professional technology experience
* 1+ years of managing direct reports or functioning in a team leadership role
* 3+ years of hands-on engineering experience, ideally in Web development and infrastructure
Specific Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
* Outstanding management skills and natural leadership qualities
* Outstanding communication, analytical and problem-solving skills
* Ability to parse input efficiently, make good decisions quickly, and have courage of convictions
* Ability to be flexible, negotiate in good faith, compromise where needed, and find paths forward
* Sharp focus on leveraging technology to improve business bottom line
* Understanding of mobile-first, responsive Web site development
* Practical knowledge of NodeJS and the Express framework
* Thorough understanding modern js development techniques, trends and tools, like npm and Webpack
* Familiarity with continuous integration and automation via tools like CircleCI and Jenkins
* Experience interacting with REST APIs
* Practical knowledge of Git, Github and version control
* Experience with Amazon Web Services
* Experience working within an agile methodology, using JIRA or similar management tools
% Travel Required (Approximate): 0
It is the policy of Meredith to provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, Meredith will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.
Meredith participates in the federal E-Verify program to confirm the identity and employment authorization of all newly hired employees. For further information about the E-Verify program, please click here: http://www.uscis.gov/e-verify/employees
Employer's Job# JR06496
Please visit job URL for more information about this opening and to view EOE statement.