Scholastic Sr. Designer, Klutz, Scholastic Inc. in New York, New York
Sr. Designer, Klutz, Scholastic Inc.
New York, New York, United States at https://scholastic.referrals.selectminds.com/jobs/5952/other-jobs-matching/location-only
Dec 10, 2019Post Date
Klutz creates activity books and other great stuff for kids ages 3 to 103. We began our corporate life in 1977 in a garage we shared with a Chevrolet Impala. For those of you who collect mission statements, here's ours: Create wonderful things. Be good. Have fun.
Klutz is a division of Scholastic, the world's largest publisher and distributor of children's books.
As a designer, you’ll collaborate with the design team and the VP, Product Development to drive the creative vision at Klutz, creating packaging, covers, and interior layouts for our books and kits.
Everyone at Klutz is responsible for bringing in new ideas and developing them into high-quality, innovative, fun, and accessible products that encourage kids to learn by doing. Our designers work on projects from ideation to production, forming content along with the product managers.
• Ideate and design concepts for product development and presentation; include key components within the packaging.
• Design alongside a team of graphic designers, photographers, illustrators, and packaging designers.
• Work collaboratively with all members of the team on the development of the project from concept to finish, managing the freelance designers, illustrators, and crafters.
• Design packaging, book covers, and interiors for each product, ensuring the graphic treatment is aligned with the brand, appeals to the target audience and serves the content of the project.
• Organize and manage multiple projects per season, delivering on time and within the established budget.
• In collaboration with the product editor, select and hire (or approve the hire of) freelance illustrators and photographers. Manage these contributors or oversee their management to ensure they deliver Klutz-quality art on schedule, within budget, and in the format that best meets Klutz’s needs.
• Work with the product editor to coordinate or oversee all aspects of photo shoots. This includes, but is not limited to, soliciting editorial input, conceiving photo set-ups, gathering props and wardrobe, selecting the best models and locations, and directing photographers to ensure that they deliver terrific, Klutz-quality images that serve the content, align with the Klutz brand, and meet editorial goals.
• Work to manage prepress production within industry print standards for output.
• Review separator and printer proofs to ensure that they are accurate and that they meet Klutz’s high quality standards. Ensure that corrections and changes are clearly communicated to the separator/printer or production liaison.
• Other responsibilities to support the product development team as assigned.
HOW YOU CAN FIT
• 4+ years graphic design experience in publishing or related field
• Packaging, book cover and interior design experience preferred
• College degree or equivalent work experience
• Course work in graphic design, typography, and illustration preferred
• Excellent organizational and communication skills
• Superstar Mac skills and design skills using InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator
• Capable of sending press-ready files to the printer (includes: creating drop shadows, clipping photos, retouching and color correcting images, and setting up specialty printing techniques).
• Experience handling multiple projects simultaneously.
• Stay self-motivated. Able to work independently and as part of a team.
• Passion for kids products, crafts, science, maker movement and DIY a big plus
WHO WE ARE
Scholastic Corporation (NASDAQ: SCHL) is the world's largest publisher and distributor of children's books, a leading provider of core literacy curriculum and professional services, and a producer of educational and entertaining children's media. The Company creates quality books and ebooks, print and technology-based learning programs for pre-K to grade 12, classroom magazines and other products and services that support children's learning both in school and at home. With operations in 14 international offices and exports to 165 countries, Scholastic makes quality, affordable books available to all children around the world through school-based book clubs and book fairs, classroom collections, school and public libraries, retail and online. True to its mission of 97 years to encourage the personal and intellectual growth of all children beginning with literacy, the Company has earned a reputation as a trusted partner to educators and families. Learn more at www.scholastic.com.
Some benefits that we offer:
• 100% vested of 401(k) Retirement Plan after 5 years employment
• Up to 1M worth of supplemental Life Insurance
• Tuition Reimbursement
• Purchase Scholastic stock at a 15% discount
Thank you for your consideration in choosing Scholastic.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Scholastic is an Equal Opportunity Employer.Our policy is clear: there shall be no discrimination on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, pregnancy, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, or status as a disabled veteran or Vietnam veteran.
Those factors shall not influence the determination of qualifications for a job or other opportunity within the company. Further, all personnel actions (such as compensation, tuition aid, benefits, transfers, promotions, and dismissals, company-sponsored training, social and recreational programs) shall be administered without discrimination.
To view the full EOE policy, clickhere.
To view the Scholastic Inc. EEO Policy statement, clickhere.
To view the Pay Transparency provision, clickhere.
- Scholastic Jobs