Columbia University Staff Associate I in New York, New York
Columbia Law School is seeking to hire a Staff Associate I to work with Prof. Edward Morrison, commencing Summer 2022.
The Staff Associate I will work with Prof. Morrison on empirical research projects that use very large databases to study questions related to corporate restructuring, consumer financial distress and bankruptcy, and other topics related to corporate and household finance.
This is a two year-position and would be ideal preparation for graduate work in economics, finance, or law.
The Staff Associate will assist Prof. Morrison on an evolving set of research questions, including topics related to:
Medical costs and consumer bankruptcy
Pandemic-induced distress at hospitals
Functioning of the bankruptcy courts, in both consumer and business cases
Corporate restructuring and inter-creditor conflict
Design of auctions in corporate bankruptcy cases
(1) Creating, organizing, and linking very large datasets, paying close attention to opportunities to leverage information in these datasets to answer research questions
(2) Developing analytical models and performing statistical analysis, including running regressions
(3) Monitoring the status of various projects and their corresponding completion dates
(4) Assisting with interpretation, write up, and dissemination of findings through the preparation of reports, journal articles, presentations, web sites, and other research outlets
(5) Assisting in the organization of research programs, including conferences, seminars and workshops
(6) Assisting with presentations for teaching and research projects
Bachelor’s degree in economics, statistics, mathematics, finance, computer science, or engineering.
Knowledge of (or willingness to learn) statistical programs (e.g., Stata, SPSS, SAS) and programming languages (e.g., Python, C++).
Experience in (and/or enthusiasm for) research in economics, statistics, mathematics, finance, computer science, or engineering.
At least 6 months of research experience as part of academic coursework, or in a research role as a research assistant during the academic year, or a summer internship in a research lab or governmental institution.
Columbia University is an Equal Opportunity Employer / Disability / Veteran
- Columbia University Jobs