Ross Stores, Inc. Summer 2023 Intern - Buying or Planning (New York City) in New York, New York
Welcome to Ross Stores, Inc., where our differences make us stronger… At Ross and dd’s, inclusion is a way of life. We care about our Associates and the communities we serve and we value their differences. We are committed to building diverse teams and an inclusive culture. We respect and celebrate the diversity of backgrounds, identities, and ideas of those who work and shop with us. Come join us as we continue our diversity, equality and inclusion journey!
Summer 2023 Intern - Buying or Planning - New York Buying Office
About Ross Stores, Inc.
At Ross Stores, Inc. our focus has always been bringing our customers a constant stream of high-quality brands and trends at extraordinary savings, while providing a fun and exciting treasure hunt experience. We believe in keeping things simple: no expensive signage, displays or fancy fixtures - to us, it's far more meaningful to pass greater savings on to our customers with on-trend apparel, accessories, footwear, and home furnishings. With more than 2,000 stores, including Ross Dress for Less and dd's DISCOUNTS, we are the nation's largest off-price retail chain, and we continue to grow at a rate far outpacing traditional retail.
We have three buying offices positioned in key markets in New York City, Los Angeles, and Boston. With FY2021 revenues of $18.9 billion, we are a Fortune 500, S&P 500, and Nasdaq 100 Company, committed to offering an inclusive, safe and positive workplace. Come see what's in store.
At Ross you will find an organization that invites you to be your authentic self. As part of the Ross family you will experience:
- A respectful culture embedded with collaborative partnerships and humility
- Opportunities to give back to your community through national charities and local volunteer initiatives
- A significant investment in your career through extensive onboarding programs, continuous learning opportunities, ongoing development and the opportunity to work with engaged and knowledgeable industry leaders
Additional information is available at: https://jobs.rossstores.com/creative/about
About this opportunity...
As an intern, you will work with our expert planning and buying teams. You'll gain hands-on experience and learn what it takes to fulfill our value proposition: offering brands customers want at great values. You'll be challenged to generate meaningful business ideas, culminating in a final project which you will present to senior management. Throughout the internship, you'll gain a taste for the culture of the company, all while having fun and learning about yourself. Follow us on Instagram @RossOnCampus to see more!
The hourly rate for a new Ross hire into this position is $20.00. The base pay listed is just one component of the total compensation package for employees. Other rewards vary by position and location.
Assistant Buyer Intern
- Perform the administrative & operational functions supporting a designated buyer. Handle purchase order management and administration as well as processing markdowns. This includes writing orders, changes, cancellations and necessary follow-up (both internally and externally) to ensure key shipments are delivered and processed.
- Analyze and interpret key business issues as directed by supervisor including the monitoring of regional merchandise reports, Open-to-Buy monitoring, and stock analysis.
- Develop effective relationships with vendors. This includes appropriate level of interaction with vendors in terms of both problem resolution and follow-up.
- Demonstrate the ability to effectively utilize the merchandising systems and understand warehouse processes. Includes utilizing systems and preparation of reporting to allow for interpretation of the business.
- Demonstrate product knowledge through sharing information with buyer as a result of competitive shopping, shopping Ross Stores, and the market.
Assistant Planner Intern
- Partners with supervisor to understand business opportunities by looking at all reports, resources, and systems to begin to interpret statistics/analysis
- Creates impact by recommending plans to save dollars
- Ensures error scripts are run weekly and resolved
Pre-Season Region/Class Plans
- Partners with manager to recommend product flow due to seasonality and customer demographics
- In partnership with team, review Pre-Season region monthly class plans based on key metrics
- Supports manager in creation of initial seasonal plans to learn how to develop plans that are well thought out and support corporate direction
In-Season Region/Class Plans
- Begins to analyze current business performance to understand future impact to make recommendations to manager
- Is beginning to understand the concept of recommending which classes require trending at region and store level
What you bring to the table...
- A desire to learn, grow and engage
- A team player attitude
- A drive for results
- A passion for product and an interest in weaving a story out of numbers!
Who you are...
- You are organized and pay attention to detail
- You are a strong communicator
- You understand retail math and have strong analytical skills
- You are proficient in Excel and familiar with MS Office
- You graduate between August 2023 - May 2024
- You are available to work the full program, Monday - Friday, during traditional business hours
The Internship will take place in June & July of 2023.
Perks and Benefits of joining our team...
Our Associates are at the heart of everything we do and we're proud to offer a range of benefits that reflect how much we value their contributions. Here's a peek into what you can expect as an eligible Ross Associate:
- A broad range of affordable health insurance options**, 401(k) with employer match**, life insurance**
- Ample PTO, paid holidays, and Summer Fridays, as well as the opportunity to purchase additional vacation**
- Employee stock purchase plan**
- Charitable donations matched by Ross Stores Foundation
- Enhanced maternity and bonding leaves with 100% income replacement**
- Parent support programs
- And more....
** -- eligibility may vary based on level and tenure, subject to change