Springer Science & Business Media LLC Team Leader, BMC Series in New York, New York
BioMed Central (BMC) is a large portfolio of peer-reviewed open access journals for Science, Technology and Medicine. The journals span all areas of biology, medicine and health, including broad interest titles such as BMC Biology and BMC Medicine alongside specialist journals, such as Malaria Journal and BMC Infectious Diseases.
The BMC series is a group of open access, peer reviewed journals that span all areas of biology and medicine. There are over 60 subject-specific journals focused on the needs of individual research communities, offering an efficient, fair and friendly peer review service, and committed to publishing all sound science, provided that there is some advance in knowledge presented by the work.
Whilst ensuring the timely progression of manuscripts through the peer-review process for the BMC series and maintaining a high level of morale on the team - a Team Leader is responsible for supervising and developing their team of Assistant Editors and Senior Assistant Editors, managing all aspects of their teams performance to ensure that the team's targets are consistently met.
Through workflow analysis, system knowledge, coaching and developing, you will work with your team to ensure they are able to perform in line with the high expectations that are set by the business.
All Team Leaders have a leadership role within the team, setting an example of excellence and supporting other members of the team, as well as demonstrating expertise in their own role. Team Leaders may also become involved in additional projects relating to the BMC-series journals.
You will be able to display outstanding leadership ability alongside the ability to influence and motivate your team while being well organised as a Team Leader.
- Lead a team of up to six Assistant Editors occasional interim line management during team transitions, plus contract staff as required
- Assist in recruitment of new staff
- Train new starters
- Set appraisal objectives for direct reports, regularly monitor progress against objectives, and perform mid-year reviews and annual appraisals
- Lead, coach and develop the team to encourage engagement, motivation and successful delivery of BMC series KPIs
- Monitor and provide feedback on performance targets
- Support the career development of PAs and develop staff retention initiatives
Editorial and journal development:
- Work within the publishing team on the allocation of Journal portfolios to Assistant Editors.
- Assist in the review and improvement of peer-review processes and systems
- Guide the Assistant Editor team with recruitment of the editorial board and subsequently training in line with strategic goals
- Implement editorial policy as and when required
- Maintain broad knowledge of the technical requirements of the peer-review system
- Records maintenance and general administrative assistance as and when required
- Oversee and regularly update Assistant Editor training documentation in line with editorial and publishing workflow or policy changes
- Work on projects across the BMC series and BioMed Central as appropriate, and support projects and communications within BioMed Central.
- Work closely with the Editorial team for the BMC series to provide a best-in-class and efficient service for our customers.
- Occasionally take on other duties including liaising with the Research Integrity Group for advice, and other tasks of a similar nature as directed.
Experience, Skills, and Qualifications:
- Strong planning and organisational skills
- Able to maintain excellent team morale with excellent leadership qualities
- Knowledge of editorial process and peer review
- Proven ability to complete allocated tasks and to work to (often conflicting) deadlines successfully, meeting set targets and KPIs
- Ability to work cooperatively with colleagues at all levels, and to disseminate higher level decisions effectively through a team of direct reports.
- Experience with online tracking systems
- Degree in a biomedical subject
- Previous STM editorial/publishing experience
We offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes:
- Medical, Dental and Vision
- Life and AD& D
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Transit Accounts
- Tuition Assistance
- Summer Hours
Springer Nature isan Equal Opportunity Employer that complieswith the laws and regulations set forth in the following Equal Employment Opportunity IsThe Law poster: http: //www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf.
Springer Nature is a leading global research, educational and professional publisher, home to an array of respected and trusted brands providing quality content through a range of innovative products and services.
Springer Nature is the worlds largest academic book publisher, publisher of the worlds highest impact journals and a pioneer in the field of open research. The company numbers almost 13, 000 staff in over 50 countries and has a turnover of approximately EUR 1.5 billion. Springer Nature was formed in 2015 through the merger of Nature Publishing Group, Palgrave Macmillan, Macmillan Education and Springer Science Business Media.
Equal Opportunity Employer-minorities/females/veterans/individuals with disabilities/sexual orientation/gender identity