Ross Stores, Inc. Technical Design Advisor (Concentration in Kids/Infant/Toddler) in New York, New York
Technical Design Advisor (Concentration in Kids/Infant/Toddler)
About Ross Stores:
Ross Stores, Inc. is an S&P 500, Fortune 500 and Nasdaq 100 (ROST) Company headquartered in Dublin, California, with fiscal 2018 revenues of $15 billion. The company operates Ross Dress for Less® ("Ross"), the largest off-price apparel and home fashion chain in the United States with more than 1550 locations in 37 states, the District of Columbia and Guam. The Company also operates 213 dd’s DISCOUNTS® locations in 16 states that feature a more moderately-priced assortment of first-quality, in-season, name brand apparel, accessories, footwear and home fashions for the entire family at everyday savings.
At Ross you will find:
- A career that fits you
- Amazing culture and people
- Big company with a family feeling
Are you ready for the next big move in your career? We look forward to hearing from you!
Additional information is available at:
Ross Stores, Inc.is searching for a Technical Design Advisor based out of our NYC Buying Office.
is searching for aTechnical Design Advisorbased out of our NYC Buying Office.
What does a Technical Design Advisor do at Ross?
The Technical Design Advisor serves as a leader and subject matter expert with broad knowledge, experience and skill in their respective product categories – in this case, the person will bring expertise in the technical design of Kids/Toddler/Infant apparel. Actively leads the support of cross-functional teams (Sourcing, Merchants and Sample) by guiding and directing on proper fit, grading, construction and approval recommendations based on industry standards. Drives process improvements and change management to support preproduction through post production. Addresses issues, recommends solutions, and enforces those solutions to support strategy, goals and objectives. Builds and executes a plan for product development and technical design in priority areas designated by Merchandising and Sourcing. Manages, directs, coaches, and develops staff to deliver against operational objectives. Builds relationships with Product Sourcing and Services, Merchants, Fashion Office, and Sample teams, and helps refine and execute the vision for Product Technical Services team.
Cross Functional Leadership
- Liaison between Sourcing, Merchants and the Product Technical Services team for their respective product categories.
- Align leadership stakeholders on business strategies
- Support and influence cross functional training and analytics
- Oversee development of materials, training and technical development of Sample team to ensure successful support of the sample management process
- Lead follow-up support and assessment testing on a continual basis to ensure the effectiveness of Sample team training
- Support and train Merchants in accordance with Senior Merchant leadership requests
- Manage direct reports, systems and projects to achieve goals in accordance with the Product Sourcing and Services and Product Technical Services mandate
- Prepare and analyze plans and reports
- Provide leadership by exhibiting influence and expertise, thus affecting the results of the operating area
- Create an effective work environment by developing a common vision, setting clear objectives, encouraging teamwork, recognizing outstanding performance and maintaining open communications
- Develop staff through coaching, providing performance feedback, delivering effective performance assessments and establishing performance and development objectives
- Influence change and gain support of Sourcing, Merchant and Sample leadership for necessary process improvements and additional initiatives
- Perform end-of-Quarter audit analysis of development timelines and process adherence
- Drive process improvements related to the business to support the calendar
- Prepare analysis and presentations for Quarterly senior leadership reviews
Plans and executes technical design for product development styles each season or directs their team to do so
QUALIFICATIONS AND SPECIAL SKILLS REQUIRED:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Production, Sourcing, Technical Design or related field
- 15 years experience in technical design, product development, production, and/ or manufacturing or retail
- Full understanding of the technical design, commercialization, production, and retail side of product development
- Strong comprehension of the product life cycle from a retail and manufacturing perspective
- Experience working with and an understanding of the sourcing/operational aspects of overseas/domestic agents and factories
- Deep technical expertise in apparel, materials, pattern making, construction, fit, and regulations related to Kids/Toddler/Infant apparel
- Strong understanding of Kids/Toddler/Infant apparel manufacturing and global supply chain processes
- Vendor and factory base knowledge in assigned product categories
- Experience with overseas factory communication and visits
- Strong working knowledge of all relevant Federal and State regulations for assigned product categories
- Existing relationship with vendors, sourcing, and factories a plus
- Strategic mindset and experience managing projects and leading teams
- Analytic and problem-solving garment/ product skills
- Excellent written and oral communication, presentation and follow-up skills