Macmillan Assistant to Managing Editor in New York
Assistant to Managing Editor
Macmillan Publishers is a global trade book publishing company with prominent imprints around the world, publishing a broad range of award-winning books for children and adults in all categories and formats. Macmillan Publishers is committed to our authors,
our employees, and to the environment.
U.S. publishers include Celadon Books, Farrar, Straus and Giroux, Flatiron Books, Henry Holt & Company, Macmillan Audio, Macmillan Children’s Publishing Group, Picador, St. Martin's Press and Tor Books. In the UK, Australia, India, and South Africa, Macmillan
publishes under the Pan Macmillan name. The German company, Holtzbrinck Deutsche Buchverlage, includes among its imprints S. Fischer, Kiepenheuer and Witsch, Rowohlt, and Droemer Knaur.
Macmillan Publishers is a division of the Holtzbrinck Publishing Group, a large family-owned media company headquartered in Stuttgart, Germany.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to reflecting a broad representation of differences --race, ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, physical ability, age, family status, economic background and status, geographical
background and status, and perspective — in our workplace. The successful candidate for this position will be an employee of Macmillan Publishing Group, LLC
This individual will be a key member of the production-editorial department, providing administrative support for the managing editor, as well as assisting with the production of advance bound manuscripts.
• Maintain production filing system for upcoming titles
• Code production-related invoices for payment
• Carry out all applicable tasks for scheduling upcoming publication season
• Liaison between managing editor and editorial departments regarding schedules and deadlines
• Track all manuscripts and jacket/cover materials throughout the production process
• Implement editorial corrections as needed for all reprints
• Castoff manuscripts to determine character count for both cost estimating and text designing purposes
• Prepare front matter and check editor’s manuscript transmittals for clarity, completeness, and accuracy and query possible problems as needed
• Prepare front matter for manufacturing of advance bound manuscripts; write purchase orders for bound manuscripts; and liaison between the bound manuscript printer and the publisher
• Use printer scales to prepare cost estimates for the manufacturing of advance bound manuscripts
• Copyedit/proofread mass-market cover copy, mechanicals, and miscellaneous print book and e-book text
Required Skills / Knowledge:
• Basic proofreading
• Basic copyediting
• Outstanding computer skills, including Word and Excel
• Outstanding verbal and written communication skills
• Publishing internship and/or workshop experience a plus
Educational Background Required:
• Bachelor’s degree