MTA Director Station Operations in New York
Title: Director- Station Operations
Post Date: 01/07/2020
Close Date: 01/21/2020
Hay Point Evaluation: 904
Salary Range: Minimum: $106,686/Midpoint: $133,357
Position Classification: Safety Sensitive
Reports To: Chief Stations Officer
This is a Non-Represented Position.
Please note that this position has been designated as a “Policy Maker” pursuant to the New York State Public Officers Law & the MTA Code of Ethics. As such, you will be required to complete a Financial Disclosure Statement that will be provided to you by the New York State Joint Commission on Public Ethics.
Responsible to provide the highest quality station and terminal environment for LIRR customers. This position directs the operation of all ticket selling, cleaning and customer service operations at 124 stations and terminals. This involves the supervision of all clerks (ticket office, lost & found, information desk, ticket remittance, customer service office), customer service ambassadors, station appearance maintainers and agents including scheduling and authorizing overtime with adherence to policies and procedures and collective bargaining agreements. Responsible for implementing emergency action plans at stations and terminals with regards to customer communication, proper direction and customer flow. This position must work with customers, commuter/community groups, local government officials and other agencies/departments to address station needs and provide guidance and direction in terms of station maintenance activities as it impacts the customer experience.
Responsibilities may include but are not limited to:
- Direct and plan for the efficient cleaning operation at all branch line stations, terminals and employee facilities. This includes managing third party contracts as well as a cleaning staff of nearly 150 employees. Development and/or review of technical scope of work (TSOW) documents for station cleaning specifications. Establish and maintain cleaning protocols for stations and terminals. Identify adequate staff and equipment to achieve the desired cleaning standards expected by LIRR customers. Schedule and report on all cleaning activities and related performance. Also includes snow removal at eight major station locations.
- Direct and plan for all customer service aspects at stations and terminals including but not limited to Customer Service Office, Lost & Found Operations, Information Desks, Customer Service Ambassador program, LIRR’s CARE program, Meet Your Manager program and Customer Assistance Program (CAP). Oversee the preparation and efficient operation of all busing programs in support of track outages. Responsible for the Branch Line Manager Program ensuring efficient station operations best suited to meet the needs of our customers. This includes but is not limited to the reporting, follow-up and recommendations regarding station maintenance issues.
- Responsible for the efficient ticket office operations at stations and terminals. Ensure compliance and adherence to ticket selling policies and procedures.
- Prepare, operate, and control over $50 million operating budget, set performance standards and measurements, minimize overtime, increase employee availability and administer contracts.
- Ensure compliance with system safety programs to include follow-up on employee accidents, employee counseling, employee education and enforcement of safety rules. Complete facility/vehicle inspections, correct deficiencies or report unsafe conditions to responsible department. Promote diversity and respect in the workplace. Develop and motivate management and represented employees.
- Meet and interact with customers, commuter groups, community groups and local government officials and investigate and respond to customer complaints to learn of concerns and issues, resolve problems, and provide feedback.
- Respond to service disruptions and/or emergencies on a 24/7 basis as required and implement contingency plans when warranted. Coordinate the Station Operations response to such disruptions.
- Select, develop and motivate personnel within the department. Provide career development for subordinates. Provide prompt and effective coaching and counseling. Responsible for discipline/termination of employees when necessary. Review performance of staff. Promote safe work practices and provide safe working conditions. Create a professional environment that respects individual differences and enables all employees to develop and contribute to their full potential. Ensure a safe working environment and adherence to guidelines of company safety policies and procedures. Lead by example. Perform other assignments as requested.
Bachelor’s degree in Business, Engineering, Computers or related field. Demonstrated, directly related, progressively responsible equivalent management/supervisory experience and education may be considered in lieu of the degree, subject to approval.
Must be a seasoned customer service and operations manager (approximately 10 years’ experience); preferably in a unionized environment.
Must possess approximately seven (7) years recent experience managing a staff.
Must possess knowledge of operating budgets, contract policies and procedures, and collective bargaining agreements.
Must have extensive knowledge of all station operations including cleaning operations and emergency action plans.
Must possess knowledge of Ticket Selling operations and procedures that governs such.
Experience developing technical requirements and policies and procedures.
Extensive knowledge of personal computer applications to include; Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint and LIRR’s Revenue Central Support Systems (CSS)
Must have proven record of effectively assessing complex problems, developing strategic solutions and effectively and efficiently implementing corrective action plans.
Must be a self-starter who is able to meet deadlines and demanding changes. Must have the ability to work with limited direction and support.
Must possess analytical, leadership and problem-solving skills with ability to manage project teams.
Must be able to demonstrate strong, effective, managerial, human relations, interpersonal and communication skills.
Must possess a valid driver’s license from the state of your legal residence.
* Preferred/Desirable Skills/Qualifications:*
MBA in related field.
Facilities maintenance and engineering background desirable.
Pay,Benefits, & Work Schedule
We offer competitive salaries and an excellent, comprehensive benefits package, including:
Full Medical Coverage
Comprehensive Sick Leave Benefits
Vacation/Personal Leave Days
Transportation Pass Privileges
Tuition Assistance Reimbursement
In-house training seminars
In addition to meeting the minimum requirements of the position, the selection process may include, but is not limited to a pre-screening assessment (i.e., physical, written and/ or practical evaluation) and interview. Candidates forfeit further consideration in the process if they fail to participate in any step of the process when scheduled. Make up dates/times will not be given. In addition, LIRR employee applicants must be in their current position for the 12 months immediately preceding the close date of this posting and must possess a satisfactory work history, including attendance and discipline record. A record of more than ten sick days without medical documentation in two of the last three years is considered unsatisfactory attendance. Not all qualified applicants are guaranteed an interview due to the competitive selection process.
A medical examination and safety-sensitive drug/alcohol test may also be required.
How To Apply
Qualified applicants can submit an online application by clicking on the 'APPLY NOW' button from either the CAREERS page or from the JOB DESCRIPTION page.
If you have previously applied on line for other positions, enter your User Name and Password. If it is your first registration, click on the CLICK HERE TO REGISTER hyperlink and enter a User Name and Password; then click on the REGISTER button.
All LIRR employees must go tohttps://www.mymta.info/ , sign in using your BSC ID and navigate to My Job Search and then Careers.
When applying for positions, please ensure that you attach a resume during the application process and that you receive a confirmation e-mail that your application was accepted. If you do not receive an email confirmation your application may not have been received and will not be able to be considered after the deadline date. If you encounter problems, please call the BSC Customer Management Center at (646) 376-0123 Monday through Friday (except MTA HQ holidays), 8:30am – 5:00pm.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The Long Island Rail Road is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to a diverse workforce. As such, we encourage applicants from women and members of minority groups.
Job Title: Director Station Operations
Job ID: 97057
Agency: Long Island Rail Road
Department: Director - Station Operations
Division: Station Operations (Field)