Macmillan Senior Editor in New York
Tom Doherty Associates
Macmillan Publishers is a global trade book publishing company with prominent imprints around the world, publishing a broad range of award-winning books for children and adults in all categories and formats. Macmillan Publishers is committed to our authors,
our employees, and to the environment.
U.S. publishers include Celadon Books, Farrar, Straus and Giroux, Flatiron Books, Henry Holt & Company, Macmillan Audio, Macmillan Children’s Publishing Group, Picador, St. Martin's Press and Tor Books. In the UK, Australia, India, and South Africa, Macmillan
publishes under the Pan Macmillan name. The German company, Holtzbrinck Deutsche Buchverlage, includes among its imprints S. Fischer, Kiepenheuer and Witsch, Rowohlt, and Droemer Knaur.
Macmillan Publishers is a division of the Holtzbrinck Publishing Group, a large family-owned media company headquartered in Stuttgart, Germany.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to reflecting a broad representation of differences --race, ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, physical ability, age, family status, economic background and status, geographical
background and status, and perspective — in our workplace. The successful candidate for this position will be an employee of Macmillan Publishing Group, LLC
Tor Nightfire, a new imprint of Tom Doherty Associates, is looking for an experienced Senior Editor to oversee an extensive publishing program that will include books, podcasts, social media, and other ways of reaching a horror-loving audience. This editor
will acquire, edit, and see through to publication, multiple titles per season and year, will build strong relationships with marketing, promotion, publicity and sales, as well as with agents and authors, and will have the managerial strengths necessary to
work with a diverse staff.
• Acquisition of horror related works , including building and maintaining relationships with agents and authors, soliciting submissions, completing financial projections, and making acquisitions.
• Carrying out developmental editing and line-editing as needed
• Development of cover concepts; working in concert with the art department/cover designers
• Development of franchise authors and building a backlist program
• Write or oversee the writing of both account- and consumer-facing copy, including online copy and jacket/cover copy; provide key selling points for sales reps.
• Work cooperatively with sales, marketing, promotion, and publicity departments.
• Oversee the publishing plan for each title on the list, including titles edited by others; includes scheduling, positioning, packaging, and marketing
• Attend conventions and conferences several times a year, including BEA, ALA, and genre fiction conventions
• Supervising and mentoring staff
• Meeting deadlines
Required Skills / Knowledge:
• Extensive knowledge of horror as a genre, both contemporary and in the past, including marginalized writers and works, and in all forms—books, film/tv, audio/podcast, comics, etc.
• Strong communication skills, both verbal and written
• Ability to quickly assess the publish ability of a project
• Knowledge of comparative titles and authors
• Understanding the tropes of packaging and how to keep them attractive to current readers
• Comfort with analyzing data and understanding costs, profitability projections, and sales figures
• Substantial agent/author contacts
• Minimum four years acquiring and editing fiction books
• Tom Doherty Associates values the array of talents and perspectives provided by a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, religion, age, ethnic derivation, sexual orientation,
gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status.
Educational Background Required:
• High school diploma or GED