Macmillan Special Sales Manager, Specialty Wholesale in New York
Special Sales Manager, Specialty Wholesale
Macmillan Publishers is a global trade book publishing company with prominent imprints around the world, publishing a broad range of award-winning books for children and adults in all categories and formats. Macmillan Publishers is committed to our authors,
our employees, and to the environment.
U.S. publishers include Celadon Books, Farrar, Straus and Giroux, Flatiron Books, Henry Holt & Company, Macmillan Audio, Macmillan Children’s Publishing Group, Picador, St. Martin's Press and Tor Books. In the UK, Australia, India, and South Africa, Macmillan
publishes under the Pan Macmillan name. The German company, Holtzbrinck Deutsche Buchverlage, includes among its imprints S. Fischer, Kiepenheuer and Witsch, Rowohlt, and Droemer Knaur.
Macmillan Publishers is a division of the Holtzbrinck Publishing Group, a large family-owned media company headquartered in Stuttgart, Germany.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are actively seeking job applicants who reflect a broad representation of differences, including race, ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, physical ability, neurodiversity, age,
family status, economic background and status, geographical background and status, and perspective. We believe that the best companies reflect the incredible diversity in viewpoints, backgrounds, and identities of the world in their staffs, and are committed
to inclusive hiring across departments and levels. The successful candidate for this position will be an employee of Holtzbrinck Publishers, LLC.
We are looking for a candidate with specialty wholesale and display market sales experience who thrives in a busy selling environment managing a large variety of publishing lines including trade adult, children’s, and audio books. The successful candidate
should have strong sales and account management experience dealing with specialty distributors and display market accounts, have a passion for selling, and be comfortable negotiating and working internally with marketing, production, and editorial.
Candidate should have excellent written and verbal communication skills, and be highly motivated and outgoing with at least 5-6 years of book publishing and account management experience, preferably with specialty wholesale and display market accounts.
• Research sales and order history and other account details in order to perform customized sales presentations for new and existing accounts in person or by email.
• Travel to key account meetings for face-to-face presentations.
• Prospect for new wholesale business.
• Daily follow-up and email/phone correspondence with accounts; troubleshoot account issues as needed.
• Attend all seasonal book launch meetings and internal special markets meetings to gather information from publishers for account sales presentations.
• Run P&Ls related to key display market/key account opportunities.
• Negotiate costs with key business managers and accounts.
• Work closely with marketing, production, business office, and operation departments.
• Provide frontlist sales estimates for the specialty wholesale channel.
Required Skills / Knowledge:
• Very strong written and verbal communication skills.
• Knowledge of specialty wholesale and display market sales.
• Strong sales presentation and negotiation skills.
• Ability to demonstrate persistence in overcoming sales obstacles and manage difficult customer situations.
• Strong organizational skills.
• Travel and sales presentation experience at face-to-face meetings with clients.
• Sales experience in special markets.
• At least 5-6 years of book publishing/account management experience.
• Microsoft Word, MS Excel, PowerPoint
Educational Background Required:
• Four-year college degree.