Jewish Community Center Director of Camp Services, Rockland County Location in Pearl River, New York
We are currently seeking a seasonal Director of Camp Services to manage our summer camp operations at our ROCKLAND COUNTYlocation.
Primarily, the Director of Camp Services is responsible for fostering a positive relationship with the camps, with the goal of meeting their needs as best as possible while ensuring that camp operations run smoothly and safely. As part of this, the Director of Camp Services is responsible for the hiring and overall supervision of a top-notch group of engaged summer staff.
To be successful the Director of Camp Services needs to be able to manage both high-level processes and on-the-ground task oriented work and have the interpersonal savvy needed to work collaboratively and effectively with a wide range of individuals towards a common goal.
Overseeing a staff of 65+, this person will be expected to foster a culture that values cooperation and respect, inspires team morale, and encourages staff to produce quality work in their commitment to HKC's mission.
The Director of Camp Services is required to live on site during the camp season (June 8, 2020 - August 24, 2020). Room and board will be provided.
KEY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
- Ensure agency camp needs are met
- Manage all aspects of aquatics and security summer camp operations
- Conduct weekly camp director meetings
- Manage camp calendar and schedule for shared facilities
- Oversee and coordinate security operations, ensuring adherence by HKC staff and camps to protocols and procedures
- Staff engagement
- As needed, serve as liaison between Facilities Management department and camps
- Responsible for all aspects of the Camp America experience
PRE & POST SEASON
- Work with management and Aquatics Directors for the hiring of aquatics and Camp America staff and training of aquatics staff.
- Work with management on planning and conducting staff orientations
- Work with management to get camp ready for the summer
- Address correspondence in a timely manner
- Attend meetings 3-4 times per year with camp directors to address issues from the previous year and discuss future plans and new developments.
- Meet with management as needed
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE**
- College degree
- 5-years' experience managing a large staff
- Experience with hiring, training and scheduling staff
- Experience in conflict resolution and mediation a plus
- A valid driver's license**
- Camp leadership experience a plus**
- Willingness to work irregular hours and operate with daily exposure to the sun and heat and other environmental conditions.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and G-Suite
- Proficient in learning new software
- Willingness to adapt new technologies as needed
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
Home to 13 independently run JCC day camps, the Henry Kaufmann Campgrounds, a partner agency of UJA-Federation of New York, manages and operates three facilities located in Long Island, Rockland County and Staten Island. Our mission is to enhance the camp experience and provide a safe environment for the campers and counselors who call our grounds home. On any given summer day we welcome more than 5000 campers and camp staff through our gates. As a seasonal organization, HKC hires 200+ seasonal workers to provide lifeguarding, swim instruction, maintenance, housekeeping and security to ensure we can carry out mission and meet the needs of the camps who call HKC home.
Date Posted: 12/20/2019
Title: Director of Camp Services, Rockland County Location
JCC: Henry Kaufman Campgrounds
Location: Pearl River, NY