MasterCard Senior Counsel in Purchase, New York
We work to connect and power an inclusive, digital economy that benefits everyone, everywhere by making transactions safe, simple, smart and accessible. Using secure data and networks, partnerships and passion, our innovations and solutions help individuals, financial institutions, governments and businesses realize their greatest potential. Our decency quotient, or DQ, drives our culture and everything we do inside and outside of our company. We cultivate a culture of inclusion (https://www.mastercard.us/en-us/vision/who-we-are/diversity-inclusion.html) for all employees that respects their individual strengths, views, and experiences. We believe that our differences enable us to be a better team – one that makes better decisions, drives innovation and delivers better business results.
The Corporate Group provides comprehensive legal support to Mastercard by partnering and advising on the integral global corporate functions of the Mastercard enterprise, including its corporate governance and global finance operations, which have a direct impact on all aspects of the business. Primary accountabilities include: providing high-quality support to the Company and the Board of Directors on corporate governance matters; providing legal advice on the governance of Mastercard’s subsidiary and affiliate structure; supporting the public company’s securities function, including advising on disclosure issues and compliance with securities law and public company obligations; and providing sophisticated, simple, and smart legal advice to Mastercard’s Global Finance teams, including the Controller, Treasury, Customer Risk Management, Settlement, Tax, Investor Relations, as well as other key partners such as Sustainability.
• Legal counsel to global Treasury team;
• Advise on, draft, and negotiate capital markets transactions and credit facilities;
• Enact the company’s capital management plan by drafting and negotiating investment arrangements, such as ISDA agreements, investment manager agreements, and various bank agreements;
• Advise on counterparty risk, including drafting and negotiating both traditional collateral arrangements and out-of-the-box risk solutions;
• Represent and provide legal advice to protect Mastercard in a complex settlement ecosystem;
• Advise Sustainability team on complex and strategic issues of legal and commercial risk in the areas of ESG;
• Provide corporate legal support to insurance team;
• Provide corporate law advice to the Tax group;
• Oversee management of corporate governance of 200+ global legal entities, including drafting and management of intercompany agreements, board resolutions, and other corporate documents;
• Assist with insider trading protections, including 10b5-1 plans, preclearance, and section 16 requirements, as well as training senior executives on their responsibilities;
• Work with legal services team to provide legal support to corporate travel and real estate teams.
All About You
• Seasoned lawyer licensed to practice in one or more states, including New York with extensive experience in drafting and negotiating agreements.
• Relevant post-qualification experience in general corporate legal matters in a reputable law firm and/or as in-house lawyer for a multinational company, preferably in the financial services or banking sector.
• Interested in being a strategic partner with significant contact with business clients on a daily basis;
• A strategic mindset and able to effectively discuss with and advise management regarding complex legal matters and challenging situations;
• Able to contribute and operate effectively within a diverse multicultural organization;
• A positive “can do” attitude, stress-resistant and ready to go the extra mile;
• A team player who is both organizationally savvy and a strong communicator able to collaborate cross-functionally and across regions and willing to take on responsibilities and roles that support the team;
• Able to work independently;
• Thorough, meticulous and detail-oriented, but able to effectively prioritize matters;
• Exercise good commercial judgment, be solutions-oriented and have a creative approach to problem-solving;
• Excellent people skills, a sense of humor and communication skills a must.
Due to COVID-19, most of our employees are working from home. We’ve implemented a virtual hiring process and continue to interview candidates by phone or video and are onboarding new hires remotely. We value the safety of each member of our community because we know we’re all in this together.
Mastercard is an inclusive Equal Employment Opportunity employer that considers applicants without regard to gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, disabled or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you require accommodations or assistance to complete the online application process, please contact email@example.com and identify the type of accommodation or assistance you are requesting. Do not include any medical or health information in this email. The Reasonable Accommodations team will respond to your email promptly.
Corporate Security Responsibility
Every person working for, or on behalf of, Mastercard is responsible for information security. All activities involving access to Mastercard assets, information, and networks comes with an inherent risk to the organization and therefore, it is expected that the successful candidate for this position must:
• Abide by Mastercard’s security policies and practices;
• Ensure the confidentiality and integrity of the information being accessed;
• Report any suspected information security violation or breach, and
• Complete all periodic mandatory security trainings in accordance with Mastercard’s guidelines.
Requisition ID: R-141916