Queens Community House Administrative Assistant - Youth Employment Services in Queens, New York
Queens Community House (QCH) is a multi-site, multi-service settlement house that serves the diverse population of Queens through a broad network of programs and services for Children and Youth, Adults and Families, and Older Adults. Our mission is to provide individuals and families with the tools to enrich their lives and build healthy, inclusive communities. The Youth Employment Services (YES) Department has a wide array of services for youth and young adults 14-24 years of age. Young people are connected with job training, internship/employment placements and skill development for preparation in the workforce.
The Youth Employment Services Department is comprised of the following program areas
• Queens Connect Young Adult Food Sector Initiative: A sector-focused employment program that trains and prepares out of school youth for successful careers in the food service sector.
• Summer Youth Employment Program (SYEP): SYEP provides youth between the ages of 14 and 24 with paid summer employment for up to six weeks in July and August.
• Work, Learn, & Grow Employment Program (WLG): WLG is a City Council-funded initiative designed to build off of the experiences gained in the Summer Youth Employment Program.
• Neighborhood Intergenerational Chore and Errand Program (NICE): A year-round employment program for high school students. The youth workers are trained to work with older adults.
• Queens NDA Opportunity Youth Program: A 14-week employment program for out-of-school and unemployed 16 to 24-year-olds who live in Queens.
We are seeking a qualified Administrative Assistant who will perform a variety of receptionist, administrative and clerical duties. Overall duties include providing support to our managers and employees, assisting in daily office needs and in alignment with our overall agency’s administrative activities. They include but are not limited to supporting our office through providing a warm and welcoming front desk and reception area through daily maintenance of the areas and general administrative operations of the Youth Employment Services Center. The Administrative Assistant is a key member of QCH’s Youth Employment Department team as the first to interface with the public, greeting and directing visitors, participants, vendors and community members; exemplifying a professional demeanor, communicating effectively, and providing a welcoming environment. S/he specializes in the daily operations, ensuring offices and facilities function at an optimal level in accordance with QCH’s mission, vision and values. The office goals include: providing a clean and safe work environment, adhering to agency policies and procedures, providing integral support services across programs in the unit, and managing recordkeeping and office equipment to increase office efficiency. The Administrative Assistant will also support staff with schedules, follow-up phone calls, ordering, data entry, maintaining and overall inventory of office supplies and materials.
• Receive, direct, and assist members, staff and visitors; answer inquiries, provide program information and make program referrals.
• Maintain the appearance of the front desk, reception area, and overall office spaces.
• Assist with coordinating room usage and maintaining calendars by scheduling for programs and events.
• Communicating maintenance requests and/or reporting issues to appropriate contacts.
• Order supplies as well as process invoices on a weekly basis.
• Assist with maintenance of agency records.
• Support implementation of agency policies and procedures
• Provide support and participate in agency-wide and onsite events.
• Support in the preparation and coordination of incoming and outgoing mail, including faxes and tracking the receipt of packages as well as dropping off packages at FedEx and US Post Office.
• Assist with coordinating meetings; gathering materials and documents and arranging catering needs.
• Ensure outgoing communications are current and up to date; removing and acquiring flyers and brochures to display in designated area.
• Maintain communication with Deputy Director informing of programmatic changes and/or issues that affect operations or onsite safety.
• Ensure timely responsiveness to communication, scheduling and all other operational duties of office
• Other tasks as assigned.
High school degree or equivalency required; some college a plus with 1-2 years of administrative or front office experience. Demonstrates attendance and punctuality in meeting required schedule. Proficient in Microsoft Word and Excel; willingness to learn other computer programs. Proven ability to be proactive with excellent troubleshooting and problem solving skills. Excellent interpersonal, organizational and communication skills. Ability to maintain confidentiality and use appropriate discretion. Bilingual preferred (Spanish or Russian).
This position is available immediately. Queens Community House offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits package. The benefits package varies by position and may include medical/dental/vision offerings, life insurance, flexible spending accounts, generous time off and a 403b plan. We value health and wellness too and as such Staff can earn generous annual leave and sick days, and enjoy most federal holidays. Staff can also take advantage of an array of professional development opportunities.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER -- DRUG-FREE WORKPLACE