New York Edge Community School Site Director- (Far Rockaway) in Queens, New York
New York Edge is New York’s leading provider of after-school programs and one of the lead CBO partners in New York City’s Community School initiative. As such, New York Edge is considered an essential service to families throughout all five boroughs. Our mission is to help bridge the academic performance gap among under-achieving students and in low income neighborhoods through wholesome, skill-building activities designed to improve children’s academic performance, health and wellness, attitude towards school, self-confidence, character and values, and opportunity for lifelong employment.
New York Edge is looking for a Community School Director (CSD) to establish a very visible presence within the school building, assuming a strong leadership role throughout the academic school year. Community Schools are a strategy to organize resources and share leadership to integrate social services into the fabric of the schools. Community Schools are equipped to better serve the needs of families so that students come to school ready and able to learn. Community Schools offer a holistic approach toward improving academic performance driven by strong, collaborative partnerships among principals, parents, teachers and CBOs. In Community Schools, parents are real and active partners in their children’s education, the school climate is joyful and positive, expanded learning opportunities are standard.
An integral part of this approach is the integration and alignment of school- and community-based services throughout an expanded learning day (such as health, mental health, counseling and academic enrichment). Critical to ensuring this alignment and coordination is a full-time staff person in the school building – the Community School Director (CSD)..
• Accountable for ensuring New York Edge maintains an emotionally and physically safe environment for youth that meets all compliance and safety requirements set forth by the organization, DOE, DOH, funders and applicable labor law.
• Serve as an advisor to the principal, providing leadership for coordinating the work of different partners within the school, and aligning the work of partners with the school faculty including but not limited to organizing and leading CBO providers meeting.
• Work with school leadership to maintain a focus on results and track progress. Ensure that New York Edge is capturing, and analyzing data while functioning in a data driven manner.
• Responsible for recruitment and supervision of dedicated staff that meet the highest standards of qualifications in carrying out the mission of Community Schools and New York Edge.
• Organize and oversee assets and needs assessments and seek input from teachers, school staff, parents and students to determine ongoing needs of students and families.
• Serve as a point person for agencies and programs interested in partnering with the school, and help to broker new partnerships that are aligned with school goals and needs.
• Identify high need students, coordinate with teachers to target interventions, and track and monitor impact of interventions.
• Build relationships and mechanisms to effectively link the school day to expanded learning opportunities.
• Facilitates alliances and partnerships with City agencies and non-profit partners to establish a continuum of services for students.
• Provide training and technical assistance to ensure cultural and linguistic appropriateness of services, programs and communication efforts.
• Support New York Edge, school, and partner agencies with resource management and development, including fund development and grant maintenance.
• Coordinate the allocation of space for student and family support services, and for special events.
• Oversee a combination of program activities including but not limited to expanded learning time, parent family and community engagement, mental health, holiday and Saturday programs and summer activities.
• Participate in school governance, community school team meetings, and specialized meetings such as attendance meetings.
• The Community School Director will be expected to work closely with and coordinate all efforts with the Director, Beacons, Community Schools and High Schools.
RELATIONSHIP AND PARTNERSHIP MANAGEMENT
Cultivates and forges positive relations with Principal, Assistant Principals, school district administrators, teachers, parents and parent coordinators and other key constituents in the community while actively seeking to raise their awareness of the Community School and engage their support in ensuring programmatic quality for the youth we serve.
Collaborates with all Community School partners on program delivery to align with the goals in relation to student achievement and performance.
Establishes parent involvement in areas of advocacy, special events, daily operations, education, and trips.
Promotes the Community School in the community through flyer distribution, and attendance at meetings.
Creates and distributes program updates, attends outreach events and establishes successful communication as the organization’s lead ambassador.
Identifies and utilizes community resources, including other schools, libraries, community and local government agencies.
Keeps supervisor informed of pertinent site information, including any challenges in fulfilling responsibilities
Ensures the Program is compliant with DOE and DOHMH regulations, timelines and staying abreast of all local, state and federal pandemic management conditions and requirements.
Monitors and ensures all program compliance, including but not limited to student registration, ratios, attendance tracking, IDs, and online virtual learning.
Ensures that student attendance information is being properly collected and delivered to the Data Department on a weekly basis.
Ensures that new hires have taken appropriate steps prior to beginning work assignments (i.e., DOE background clearance, attended and completed required training, and all required HR paperwork completed).
Ensures time sheets are accurately completed and submitted to Payroll on time.
Maintains accurate records (i.e., staff files, program flyers, materials, schedule and curriculum).
Reports site injuries via appropriate forms and immediately communicate incidents with school and New York Edge personnel.
Assist Director, Beacons & Community Schools in ensuring budgetary compliance and with submission of any required documents or reports to funding sources.
Tracks and cares for all equipment and supplies used by community school participants and staff.
Reliable, organized and punctual
Knowledge of effective sports, arts, and academic programming
Expert understanding of New York City and New York State education requirements in an urban setting
Strong leader and team-builder
Ability to resolve conflicts and negotiate solutions
Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with program staff and school partners
Excellent communication (oral and written) and interpersonal skills with proven ability to interact with a diverse range of individuals both in person, virtually and over the phone, applying tact and discretion as situations demand
Must have excellent organizational, time management and follow-up skills
Must be able to clearly articulate outcome requirements and provide the necessary and appropriate resources and support for Community Educators, Lead Community Educators, Teachers and Group Leaders to successfully deliver on objectives
Responsible and professional conduct that serves as role model to staff and youth
Exhibits strong character traits and exercises patience and creativity while seeking win-win scenarios
Ability to set priorities and meet deadlines
Must demonstrate ability to manage multiple priorities simultaneously
Experienced with E-learning and Virtual Learning
Proficiency in Microsoft Excel, Outlook, and Word
Bachelor’s degree required with preference in Education, Psychology, or Social Work
Must have passion for New York Edge mission and demonstrated interest in the field of education and youth development
Prior work experience in urban education, including supervisory experience
Must be able to switch to at home/remote work should the need arise
Must possess and be able to maintain, throughout the assignment, the technology (hardware, software, internet access and working cell phone) required to perform the duties of the position including communications with supervisor and other staff members
Broad knowledge of the principles and practices of current educational trends in curriculum and instruction
Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with students, families and school partners including school administration and staff
Must pass pre-employment background investigation including but not limited to employment history and criminal background check
Must be available for all hours of the program on a daily basis
Must complete all required trainings (if applicable)
Bilingual: Fluent in Spanish highly preferred
Teaching and summer program management experience preferred
At least 18.0 credit hours from an accredited college or university in the field of Child Development, Elementary Education, Physical Education, Recreation or a related field preferred
Community School Director will be required to report to the school building and interact with staff, students, parents and school administration while following DOH Covid-19 guidelines such as wearing PPE and remaining socially distant.
At time of offer and acceptance, the job requires safety and security clearances through the Department of Education and Department of Health.
New York Edge is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
Disclaimer: The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the employee in this position. These statements are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of a person in this position.
To apply, please visit our website at https://newyorkedge.org/careers/
EOE Minorities / Females / Protected Veterans / Disabled