Omega Institute for Holistic Studies Café Barista (Seasonal Positions) in Rhinebeck, New York
Reports to: Cafe Manager
Work Hours: FT on average 35 hours a week
The Omega Café is an independent facility within the Omega Food and Beverage Department. The Omega Café provides a welcoming, shared space where participants, staff, faculty and the public can gather, enjoy light meals, snacks, and beverages. The Café also offers space for workshops and special events to meet and is host to book signings, concerts, and craft fairs.
Servers in the café are expected to be well rounded, and able to work well in each of the café “stations,” sometimes all of them in a single shift. The café goes from extremely busy (during coffee breaks and before/after classes and events) to quite slow. Baristas are expected to focus on singular tasks and customer service during busy times and multi-task when the Café is less busy.
• Prepare barista drinks for customers to order in a timely fashion
• Maintain the stock of the barista station
• Maintain organized and well-prepared work stations
• Make coffee/ espresso drinks, juices, smoothies, etc.
• Stock retail shelves, beverage case, pastry case, and coffee condiment area
• Stock ice cream, coffee beans and supplies behind the counter
• Maintain cleanliness in the cafe (wiping tables, sweeping, etc.)
• Operate Point-of-Sale system
• Run dish washer and put dishes away
• Occasionally lift/move/carry heavy items
• Work alertly and in a safe manner
• Be informed about all aspects of the food served including providers, ingredients, and available choices
• Perform deep cleaning tasks in all areas of the Café
• Be welcoming and prove expedient service to all patrons.
• Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
• Timely, reliable, and service oriented individual
• Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills
• Ability to work comfortably in fast paced environment
• Team player
• Alignment with Omega’s mission, goals, and core values
• Ability to lift and carry up to 50 lbs. occasionally
• Ability to stand for long periods regularly
• Ability to navigate a hilly campus in diverse weather conditions
• Compliance with all COVID-19 mandatory campus-wide and departmentally specific requirements including being fully vaccinated by the start of the season
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Omega complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), as amended by the ADA Amendments Act, and all applicable New York State or local laws. Consistent with those requirements, Omega will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with a disability if such accommodation would allow the individual to satisfactorily perform the essential functions of the job, unless doing so would create an undue hardship.
Omega Institute for Holistic Studies, Inc. (“Omega”) is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, New York State, and local laws. Omega strictly prohibits and does not tolerate discrimination against employees, applicants, or any other covered persons because of actual or perceived race; color; creed; age; religion; national origin; citizenship status; sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and pregnancy-related medical conditions); gender (including gender identity and transgender status); sexual orientation; disability (which includes functional limitations caused by gender dysphoria); marital status; partnership status; familial status; status as a victim of domestic violence, stalking, or sex offenses; genetic predisposition; veteran’s status; military status; or any other basis protected under applicable federal, state, or local laws, regulations, or ordinances. All Omega employees, other workers, and representatives are prohibited from engaging in unlawful discrimination. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, placement, testing, training, promotion, discipline, compensation, benefits, transfers, leaves of absence, and termination of employment.