Cornell Cooperative Extension of Suffolk County Entomology Program Assistant in Riverhead, New York
The Cornell Cooperative Extension of Suffolk County Entomology Program is seeking a Seasonal Program Assistant to provide full-time support for agriculture-related research trials and assist in day-to-day operations at the Long Island Horticultural Research and Extension Center (LIHREC). This includes performing such duties as, but is not limited to, maintaining on-site research trials (e.g., planting, potting, weeding, watering, and cleaning greenhouse and/or farm equipment), assisting with data collection and entry, and maintaining program files and records. The Seasonal Program Assistant will be expected to work 8 am - 4:30 pm Monday through Friday. The position will start in May 2023 and end in September 2023, with the option of continuing part-time work in the fall if available.
- High school diploma or equivalent GED, plus 6 months of volunteer or work experience.
- Ability to work outdoors and perform various field activities.
- Ability to work with and handle live insects (i.e., aphids, caterpillars, mealybugs, and other common garden insects).
- Ability to understand and implement written and oral communication.
- Ability to work well independently or as a team; reliable, punctual, and trustworthy.
- Ability to lift 20-30 lbs. unassisted.
- Ability to meet travel requirements associated with this position.
- Ability to work flexible hours, including evenings and weekends, as appropriate or defined in the offer letter.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (ex., Word, Excel, PowerPoint) or equivalent software.
- Is comfortable working in an agricultural setting near various farming operations, tools, and equipment.
- Fully vaccinated by NYS COVID-19 guidelines.
- Previous experience volunteering or working in agriculture.
- Interest in entomology, agriculture, horticulture, environmental science, or other related life science.
- Pay-Rate: Temp - non-exempt $16.05-$18.00 per hour (depending on experience)
Closing Date: Until the position is filled
Download the temporary application at www.ccesuffolk.org/employment-opportunities/
Send application, cover letter, and resume to:
3059 Sound Ave
Riverhead, NY 11901