Cornell Cooperative Extension of Suffolk County Vegetable/Potato Program Assistant in Riverhead, New York
Seasonal Program Assistant needed for Cornell Cooperative Extension's Suffolk County Vegetable and Potato Program based at the Long Island Horticulture Research and Extension Center, 3059 Sound Ave. in Riverhead. The starting date is May 2023, and the ending date is flexible, or September 30, 2023. Applicant must be able to work 8am-4:30pm Monday thru Friday. Applicants that can work into the fall are preferred. Job Title: Seasonal Program Assistant
Salary: $16.05 per hour, 35-40 hours per week
Benefits: Medical benefits only, if the duration is over three months
Other: The position is a full-time, temporary employment
*Maintenance of research trials on and off-site * Performs duties including but not limited to planting, weeding, harvesting, and lifting of produce. * Leaf tissue and soil sampling. * Assist with data collection and entry. * Scout farms weekly for insects and diseases and communicate observations with growers. * Install and maintain a sweet corn pest-trapping network. * Report pest occurrences and severity daily to Supervisor. * Maintain program files and records.
- High School diploma or equivalency and six months of volunteer or work experience.
- Ability to work outdoors, sometimes in inclement weather, performing various farm and field activities.
- Ability to understand and implement written and oral instruction.
- Must be reliable and able to work independently as well as part of a team.
- Ability to complete any given task in an efficient and timely manner.
- Attention to detail and good observational skills.
- Must be able to lift 20-50 lbs.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Ability to meet the travel requirements associated with the position; Valid NYS driver's license and personal vehicle for on-the-job transportation, three years of driving experience, and pass a motor vehicle screening. Mileage is reimbursed at the Federal rate.
Closing Date: Until the position is filled
Download the Temporary Employment Application at www.ccesuffolk.org/employment-opportunities/
Send application, cover letter, and resume to:
Contact: Anastasia Yakaboski
3059 Sound Ave
Riverhead, NY 11901