Ibero-American Action League, Inc. ASPIRA Youth Mentor in Rochester, New York
Under the guidance & direct supervision of the ASPIRA Program Coordinator, the Mentor will be responsible to mentor 25-30 students that have one or more of the following characteristics: at risk of academic failure due to poor school attendance, low socioeconomic status, engagement in risky behavior such as substance use and unprotected sexual intercourse, teenage pregnancy, homelessness, exposure to neighborhood violence, as well as youth from families immersed in substance abuse and/or domestic violence. Must maintain a safe and secure environment, conductive to learning and in compliance with programs performance objectives that are met at all times.
- Establishes and maintains goods working relationships with staff, parents, and representatives from funding/accrediting agencies, school faculty, related community agencies and other programs within IBERO.
- Assures compliance with agency's rules and regulations and performance standards.
- Maintain a case load of 25-30 students for mentoring.
- Maintain communication with the students' parents and teachers through out the year.
- Assist the Program Coordinator with planning and organizing a summer program for the student-mentees.
- Assures compliance with the school's rules and regulation.
- Implement the ASPIRA Mentoring Model to Fidelity.
- Must take the initiative to do everything possible to meet the performance objectives for each student.
- Provide peer and social skills development strategies, behaviorally-based incentives, achievement recognition and rule compliance structure- which leads to enhanced academic and behavioral outcomes for the student.
- Prepares all required program reports on a timely fashion
- Maintain accurate student files.
- Attends formal and informal meetings and training sessions in/outside the agency.
- Maintains a detailed log of all activities on a daily basis via COMET.
- Any other duties as may be assigned by the Program Coordinator and/or delegates.
The employee exercises considerable initiative and makes decisions regarding assignments of tasks and monitoring activities. Must use sound judgment in reaching those decisions and in the day to day tasks with the students. The individual must be resourceful and able to display initiative and understanding of the agency's policies and procedures.
Skills and Abilities:
- Bachelor degree in counseling, human services or social work and 2 years experience in human services or a combination of education and experience.
- Bilingual in English and Spanish, preferred but not required.
- Demonstrated knowledge of youth development
- Experience working with youth 13-21 years old.
- Ability to speak positively and respectfully to the youth and their families.
- Valid NYS license and access to own transportation
- Must be cleared by the RCSD backgroung check and NYS SCR.
- A combination of training and experience other than the specified, if judged to be adequate for the job, may be accepted by the President and CEO
The position does require occasional standing, squatting, lifting of up to approximately 40 lbs. And frequent sitting.
Ibero American Action League is committed to the policy of equal employment opportunity. This policy expressly prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex, race, color, religion, creed, national origin, age, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, genetic predisposition or carrier status, domestic violence victim status, veteran status or status as a member of any other protected group or activity.
Location: Rochester, NY, USA