Rochester Institute of Technology Sous Chef- Sol's Underground in Rochester, New York
Sous Chef- Sol's Underground
Detailed Job Description:
We want you to be part of a high energy dining team who depend on each other to succeed. The environment is friendly but fast-paced. The goal? Nobody goes hungry, and everybody leaves smiling!
Here is what you will need to be successful in the job:
Current anticipated hours are;
Tuesday- Saturday 11:00am-7:30pm
Additionally, f lexible scheduling/work hours may be required during break week, summer and intersession. In addition, large institute events may require additional hours (such as commencement (graduation).
• Oversees all hot and cold food kitchen operations.
• Directs, supervises, trains, and coordinates kitchen staff. Provides input on staff performance appraisals, recognition, professional and personal training and disciplinary actions while maintaining proper records.
• Monitors food production and line setup to maintain proper cooking, portioning and appearance at all times. Control amounts produced in a reasonable and timely manner. Resolves problems affecting production, food quality and presentation.
• Plans production schedules, requisition food supplies from storage, and assists leadership with ordering and receiving food supplies, equipment, inventory and tools.
• Works with the leadership to create menus and/or themed meals and execute in collaboration with production staff.
• Reduces waste and optimizes the profitability of the food service unit working within budget guidelines.
• Ensures adequate staff coverage.
• Assists leadership with creation and documentation of all recipes in the menu management system. Read, Interpret, update and follow standardized recipes. Tests and monitors accuracy of recipes.
• Ensures cleanliness, sanitation and safety of unit and equipment as well as proper storage, rotation and labeling of items. Ensures that all foods are high in quality, served and stored at proper temperatures and times.
• Cooks and leads cooking of a large variety of foods.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Finance & Administration
Required Application Documents:
Curriculum Vitae or Resume
The hiring process for this position may require a criminal background check and/or motor vehicle records check. Any verbal or written offer made is contingent on satisfactory results, as determined by Human Resources.RIT does not discriminate. RIT promotes and values diversity, pluralism and inclusion in the work place. RIT provides equal opportunity to all qualified individuals and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, age, marital status, sex, gender, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, veteran status or disability in its hiring, admissions, educational programs and activities.RIT provides reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities under the Rehabilitation Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act, the New York Human Rights Law, or similar applicable law. If you need reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, and you wish to discuss potential accommodations related to your application for employment at RIT, please contact the Human Resources office at 585-475-2424 or email your request to Careers@rit.edu.
Required Minimum Education Level:
How To Apply:
In order to be considered for this position, you must apply for it at: http://careers.rit.edu/staff. Click the link for search openings and in the keyword search field, enter the title of the position or the BR number.
Wage Band (https://www.rit.edu/fa/humanresources/content/staff-wage-grade-bands) :
Required Minimum Qualifications:
Degree/Certification in Culinary Arts ( or equivalent experience)
3 years’ experience in a high volume restaurant, country club, or institutional setting.
Experience with a variety of food service applications and computerized menu management systems. Experience coordinating kitchen activities.
Servsafe certified or ability to obtain within six months of hire.
Allertain certified or ability to obtain within six months of hire.
Must successfully complete Sous Chef culinary skills test.
Rochester Institute of Technology is a diverse and collaborative community of engaged, socially conscious, and intellectually curious minds. Through creativity and innovation, and an intentional blending of technology, the arts and design, we provide exceptional individuals with a wide range of academic opportunities, including a leading research program and an internationally recognized education for deaf and hard-of-hearing students. We are dedicated to building a diverse community, one where employees feel a sense of belonging, and are valued for their contributions and the perspectives they bring.
As a member of the RIT community, you'll receive a comprehensive employee benefits package (https://www.rit.edu/fa/humanresources/sites/rit.edu.fa.humanresources/files/docs/Benefits_at_a_Glance.pdf) that offers multiple options and access to additional employment advantages. You can tailor your benefit elections to meet your needs (affordable medical/dental/vision benefits; paid vacation/sick time/retirement saving plan with exceptional employer match; and tuition assistance for you and your family, to name a few).
Located on the residential side of campus, Sol's Underground is multi platform retail dining unit providing quick service and late night options to students living in the RIT dorms. This unit typically serves 400-500 customers a day over the afternoon, evening and late night hours. Sols provides both On Demand and in person order service.