The Bristal Assisted Living Director of Recreations in Sayville, New York
At the present time, we are seeking an experienced Director of Recreation. If you can create programs of entertainment and activity that are enjoyable and stimulating for our residents, we are looking for you to join our team.
As Director of Recreations & Activities you are responsible to plan, develop, coordinate and administer a social, educational and recreational program which meets the psychosocial needs of the Residents within our Assisted Living and Reflections (Dementia) Programs.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES*:*
- Develop and maintain activities programs for Assisted Living Residents and Reflections Program Residents.
- Assist Residents to continue with interests, hobbies and activities that they have previously pursued.
- Offer new opportunities to enhance their lives with new learning experiences. These via the learning of new crafts, dramatic club, choral groups, discussion groups – new avenues for self-expression.
- Plan and coordinate outings to every conceivable area, i.e., art galleries, theatre, music, racetracks, religious and cultural programs.
- Provide constant activity within the facility, which will allow for the expansion of friendships.
- Assist Residents in the formation of various clubs and organizations and interest groups, thus generating opportunities for leadership and involvement in the workings of the community.
- Plan a monthly calendar of events for Residents that includes on-going diversified activities that meet the religious, social, emotional, educational and recreational needs of the Residents.
- Coordinate Resident monies for special activities and events planned and run by the Recreation Department.
- Write and edit a monthly newsletter, copies of which will be provided to each Resident and appropriate staff. These will be distributed to referral sources and recent inquiries and used as a marketing tool.
- Coordinate transportation for all special trips planned by the Recreation Department.
- Interview all new Residents, provide them with a welcome basket and provide new Resident with orientation to building, available amenities, activities, etc.
- Purchase and prepare seasonal decorations as well as decorate for theme events.
- Establish, conduct and maintain records of Resident Council, its officers, and minutes of each meeting.
- Establish a welcome committee to assure new Residents’ move-in will be as smooth as possible.
- Request, in accordance with the activities budget, supplies necessary for the program.
- Maintain knowledge of Residents’ backgrounds, hobbies, special interests, languages spoken, etc.
- Arrange for photographs to be taken at major events and maintain an album of these pictures. Distribute press releases of events to local news media.
- Become knowledgeable on how to operate all equipment necessary to operate the Recreation Department.
- Network with outside contacts to recruit social and educational groups in the community to participate in the Bristal activities.
- Provide positive publicity to the Bristal.
- Perform other duties as assigned by Supervisor or Executive Director.
- Manage the Recreation Department staff, including interviewing/hiring/coaching & mentoring/training/disciplining/terminating.
- Create monthly schedules for the Recreation Department staff ensuring coverage on all shifts.
- Evaluate staff and perform annual evaluations.
- Bachelor’s or Associates degree in related field.
- Requires experience working with older adults.
- Minimum of four (4) years of experience in developing a social activities program geared to the strengths and frailties of senior citizens.
- Good organization skills.
- Outgoing, warm and caring personality.
- Skills in one or more of social activities such as crafts, music, dance, etc.
- Talk and hear in English in person and on phone
- Must have CDL license or must obtain one within 6 months of your employment (Company will pay for this)
- First Aid Certification.
Location: Sayville, NY
Location Name: The Bristal at Sayville
Wage: Depends on Experience
Position Type: Full Time
Shift: Day Shift