St. Bonaventure University Director of Sports Medicine in St. Bonaventure, New York
Director of Sports Medicine
St. Bonaventure University is an NCAA Division 1 institution and a member of the Atlantic 10 conference. Founded in 1858, St. Bonaventure is a Catholic university dedicated to educational excellence in the Franciscan tradition. Located in western New York State, the residential campus is approximately 70 miles southeast of Buffalo on the New York/Pennsylvania border. St. Bonaventure University is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to fostering diversity in its faculty, staff, and student body, and strongly encourages applications from the entire spectrum of a diverse community.
POSITION TITLE: Director of Sports Medicine
REPORTS TO: Associate Athletics Director for Internal Operations
• Minimum of 6 years full-time athletic training experience in a collegiate setting. Previous experience as Director of Sports Medicine preferred.
• Master’s Degree
• Must be BOC certified and possess or eligible for NY state athletic training licensure. NPI Number Required.
SPECIFIC DUTIES & RESPONSIBLITIES:
• Administers and oversees the care, prevention, evaluation, treatment and rehabilitation of injuries to all student-athletes.
• Manages and supervises sports medicine staff.
• Organizes and maintains all medical records in accordance with federal and state regulations.
• Develops and maintains emergency action plans for all permanent and temporary practice and competition venues in accordance with university risk management guidelines and state regulations.
• Develops and maintains all department guidelines, policy and procedure in accordance with national/international best practices and consensus statements.
• Develops and maintains all service contract with medical consultants.
• Maintains student-athlete insurance information.
• Maintains good communication with the insurance providers and manages all paperwork required for claims.
• Develops and manages the Athletic Training Facility, budgets and policies to maintain optimal health, safety and welfare of all constituents.
• Approves the purchasing and use of all equipment and supplies needed for the operation of the athletic training facility, in accordance with State and University policies.
• Plans and coordinates physical examinations, sickle cell testing, and screenings.
• Communicate with physicians and coaching staff regarding the injury status of athletes.
• Makes appropriate physician’s referrals and appointments.
• Supervises the organization and administration of drug testing per NCAA and department policy.
• Assists the institution in hosting athletic events.
• Helps monitor weather conditions and dangerous environments (cold/humidity/lightning).
• Adheres to Conference guidelines, including visiting team accommodations and services.
• Responsible for implementation and rehearsal of health and safety best practices.
• Acts as the Athletic Health Care Administrator per NCAA guidelines.
• Knowledge of rules and regulations set forth by the NCAA and conference should be maintained, reviewed and practiced to ensure compliance relative to those applicable duties.
• Responsible for maintaining and coordination service for all modalities and equipment utilized with the athletic training facility.
Full travel responsibilities for in-and-out of season sport assignment.
Work is medium demand. Lifting 100 pounds maximum with frequent lifting and/or carrying of objects. Medium strength is required to position patients for examination. May assist patients as needed, helping them on and off the exam table. Ability to work a flexible schedule, including evenings, weekends, and holidays.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: Responsible for the supervision of all full-time and part-time sports medicine staff.
ADDITIONAL QUALIFYING FACTORS
• Job offer will be contingent on a successful background check completed by the university.
• May be required to transport staff and/or student-athletes for work-related purposes.
• Must hold a valid driver’s license
Applications will be reviewed immediately. Cover letter, accompanied by a resume and a minimum of three references (including contact information) should be submitted to:
St. Bonaventure Director of Sports Medicine Search
c/o Steve Campbell