Carl Zeiss, Inc. Sales and Use Tax Accountant in Thornwood, New York
SALES AND USE TAX ACCOUNTANT
WHITE PLAINS, NY
Thrive on innovation at a global technology leader. Develop exciting solutions in a diverse, stable work environment that s focused on the future. Join us in a modern work environment with an open and inspiring culture and colleagues!
The Sales & Use Tax Accountant is responsible for the monthly, quarterly and annual preparation and filing of required sales and use tax returns and gross receipts returns for assigned legal entities. He or she will work closely with business unit leadership to ensure timely, complete, and accurate information is obtained and provided to support tax return filings and tax permits and business licenses are valid and up to date.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
* Prepare and file monthly, quarterly and annual sales and use tax returns for various legal entities
* Research, review, and approve of sales tax exemption certificates submitted by the operations team and prepare all required resale certificates for suppliers
* Perform monthly reconciliation to ensure entries for accruals are accurate
* Monitor activity & sales thresholds at a state level for potential sales tax exposure due to economic nexus standards
* Stay informed of current sales tax issues as it relates to the organization and analyze and present relevant impact to the management
* Maintain compliance / tax calendar for preparation, processing, and filing of sales and use tax permits, required filings, and business licenses to ensure registration and reporting obligations are met on time.
* Prepare property tax valuations, filings, and reconcile data to accrual
* Perform research with respect to sales and use tax notices and respond as needed.
* Assist sales and use tax and property tax audits. Analyze and prepare response to tax authority as required.
* Other indirect tax duties and special projects as assigned by management.
* BA/BS degree in Accounting, Finance, or related field.
* 1-3 years sales and use tax experience in a multi-state operations environment
* Ability to understand and analyze financial data and prepare various tax filings accordingly;
* Experience in a high volume, multi-seasonal environment
* Excellent written / oral communications and organizational skills with an emphasis on customer service. Self-motivated with ability to prioritize and meet deadlines
* Strong problem-solving skills and ability to react quickly to resolve issues.
* Continuous improvement mindset with the ability and desire to develop creative solutions to problems and continuously improve systems and processes.
* Proficient in MS office
* Prior experience working with SAP, Vertex Q Series and Vertex Indirect Tax preferred
At ZEISS we encourage creative thinking and innovation. We work in dynamic and interdisciplinary teams and offer individual development perspectives as well as flexibility in organizing your work. We care about our employees and take particular responsibility for improving society and preserving our environment. These core values have shaped our corporate culture at ZEISS for over 170 years.
HELP US SHAPE THE FUTURE! The application process takes less than 10 minutes, we look forward to receiving your application.
ZEISS is an EEO/AA/M/F/Disabled/Veteran Employer
Employer's Job# 22351
Please visit job URL for more information about this opening and to view EOE statement.