Rescue Mission of Utica Building Maintenance Associate in Utica, New York
Our Mission Statement: The Rescue Mission of Utica, Inc. is a Christian Ministry, established to proclaim, in word and deed, the life changing Gospel of Jesus Christ, by unconditionally endeavoring to assess and meet the physical, emotional and spiritual needs of those individuals seeking assistance
JOB TITLE: Building Maintenance Associate
Assist Facilities Manager with operations of the Facilities Department related to the maintenance and repairs of Mission buildings, property and vehicles so that they are in the best condition possible at all times.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
• Assist Facilities Manager with repairs of all Mission buildings, property and vehicles. Includes various types of repairs, but not limited to, carpentry, plumbing, minor electrical work, masonry, drywall, painting, HVAC, small engine repair, landscaping and snow removal. Vehicles include pick-up truck(s), snowplows, 4-wheeler, vans, lawnmowers and other minor equipment as needed.
• Ability to inspect various systems HVAC, Fire Systems etc.
• Coordinate with supervisor physical plant project planning and implementation.
• Coordinate the removal of snow on the Mission campus by snow plowing, snow blowing and shoveling. Including but not limited to several small parking lots and walkways.
• Lawn care as needed during the spring, summer and fall months, including tree trimming.
• Maintain professional relationships with facility management subcontractors.
• Assist with the training of volunteers as needed.
• Use/wear proper Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) at all times per the direction of the supervisor and safety guidelines.
• Assist Facilities Manager with OSHA compliance
• Support the Driving for Mission Business Orientation for approved Mission drivers.
• Support the Mission’s Safety and Health Committee. Coordinate procedures with fire and police departments with response to alarms as directed by supervisor.
• Abide by all Mission and program policies, procedures and guidelines.
• Attend and participate in regular meetings and trainings as requested by your supervisor and HR.
• Maintain a professional and approachable attitude on the Mission campus.
• Electrical, plumbing, installation and removal of air conditioning units.
• All other duties as requested by your supervisor.
MINIMUM JOB QUALIFICATIONS
• High School Diploma or equivalent; AAS Degree preferred.
• Working knowledge of architectural, electrical, plumbing and mechanical systems.
• Experience with removal of snow through snow plowing, snow blowing and shoveling.
• OSHA certification preferred or willingness to attain certification.
• Intermediate skills with Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook.
• Ability to manage a web based work order system preferred.
• Must have a clean and valid NYS Driver’s License.
• Enthusiastic support of our Mission Statement.
• Demonstrates wisdom, good decision making, analytical and problem solving skills.
• Meets deadlines.
• Must have sound mechanical abilities
• Knowledge of the trades: Plumbing, electrical, carpentry, masonry
• Basic knowledge of HVAC preferred
• Promotes harmonious working relationships.
• Demonstrates effective verbal, written and listening communication skills and is not easily misunderstood.
• Ability to remain calm, patient and professional in a fast paced environment.
• Ability to work with little or no supervision.
• Must be a motivated self-starter
• Ability to multi-task, plan & prioritize tasks and respond to situations as needed
PHYSICAL JOB REQUIREMENTS
The tasks described signify many of the physical requirements of this position, based on a Time Weighted Average of an 8-hour work day.
• Lift/move up to 50 lbs.
• Pushing/pulling up to 100 lbs.
• Reaching overhead with hand tools or up to 20 lbs. of other material.
• Twisting at the torso in stationary position.
• Use of hand tools, repetitive motion.
• Use of hazardous chemicals.
• Use of stationary or portable machinery: Table saw, electric snake, snow thrower, chain saw or equipment as needed.
• Bending at waist using legs to lift heavy objects up to 50 lbs.
• Bending at the waist to perform work at that level.
• Standing/sitting for extended period.
• Walking up and down stairs.
• Typing on a computer and using a mouse.
• Exposure to heat & cold.
Status/Hours: Part Time - 30 hours per week
Pay Rate and Benefits: We offer a competitive pay rate and comprehensive benefit package for eligible employees to include medical, dental, life insurance, 401(k), voluntary benefits, paid time off, holidays and paid training.
The Rescue Mission is an Equal Opportunity Employer