United Way of the Valley and Greater Utica Area Finance & Administrative Assistant in Utica, New York
Finance & Administrative Assistant
Full-Time for the United Way of the Valley & Greater Utica Area, Inc.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Record, maintain, and track accounts payable by function and ensure timely payment to vendors by check or EFT.
- Record daily cash receipts, petty cash, process credit card and EFT payments, ensure timely bank deposits, prepare monthly cash receipts summary.
- Processing of monthly billing statements and performance of collection procedures as outlined in UWVGU Collections Policy.
- Reconciliation of A/R and A/P sub ledger accounts (Andar, Excel. MIP) to the general ledger.
- Campaign pledge processing including auditing, posting, and training of temporary finance staff / volunteers as needed. Ensure timely flow of pledge processing.
- Processing of notifications of designations to agencies and other notifications by mail/email, including development and updating of related written procedures and time line.
- Prepare monthly Journal Entries.
- Prepare monthly reports for Director of Finance as needed.
- Maintain inventory records, including tracking and recording of acquisitions and disposals.
- Uphold accounting policies and procedures.
-Support agency-wide efforts including events, initiatives, fund-raising events and pledge processing.
- Provide administrative oversight of the Emergency Food & Shelter program.
-Monitor submission from the Local Receiving Organizations to the national office.
-Signs off on reports.
-May provide coaching and technical assistance as needed.
Conduct outreach and follow-up with organizations that might qualify for inclusion in 2-1-1 Mid-York, from a target list developed by the 2-1-1 Director.
-Coach organizations on the Inclusion and Exclusion criteria and provide technical assistance on the sign-on survey instrument that an organization completes to be considered for inclusion in 2-1-1.
-Track the status of outreach and recruitment of organizations.
Provide support to the Free Tax Preparation Initiative by:
-Certifying with the IRS at the Advance Tax Return and Site Coordinator level
-Provide a supportive environment for the volunteers
-Provide coverage at Tax Prep location as needed, serving as the lead for site coordination and quality review. This may involve regional travel and weekend/evening hours during the Tax Preparation season.
-Provide general support to Free Tax Preparation as needed.
Work cross-functionally in cooperation with all staff to support United Way as a whole; and perform other duties as needed or assigned
Qualifications - Education and Experience:
Associate's Degree in Accounting or related field, preferred.
Minimum 3-5 years of experience in nonprofit environment, preferred.
Required experience in basic accounting concepts is a must.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Proficiency in Microsoft Office including Word, Excel, and Power Point.
Strong organization and time management skills.
Understanding of basic accounting concepts and GAAP.
Excellent communication skills, both oral and written, internal and external.
Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills.
Ability to analyze and exercise sound judgment and problem solving.
Ability to work independently.
Ability to pay attention to detail and accuracy.
Ability to multi-task.
Interested candidates may email a resume and cover letter to RoyanneS@unitedwayvgu.org.
United Way of the Valley & Greater Utica Area (UWVGU) is an equal opportunity employer. UWVGU does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, creed/religion, disability, national origin, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, pregnancy, marital status, familial status, military and veteran status, domestic violence victim status, arrest and/or criminal conviction status, genetic predisposition or carrier status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law.