Cornell Cooperative Extension Hidden Valley Summer Camp Assistant Kitchen Manager - Watkins Glen, NY in Watkins Glen, New York
The mission of Hidden Valley 4-H Camp is to provide youth with a fun, residential camp experience under the guidance of positive role models that emphasize community building, positive social interactions, environmental awareness and skill building.
The Summer Camp Assistant Kitchen Manager is responsible for helping with the cleaning, opening and closing of the camp’s kitchen facility.
Some physical requirements of this position could be endurance including prolonged standing, bending, stooping, walking long distances, running, hiking, climbing, and stretching; requires eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity to manipulate outdoor equipment and camp activities; requires normal range of hearing and eyesight to record, prepare, and communicate appropriate camper activities/programs and the ability to lift up to 50 lbs.; willing to live in a camp setting and work irregular hours with limited or simple equipment and facilities; and with daily exposure to the sun, heat, cold, rain, sun, and other varying weather conditions, and animals such as bugs, snakes, bats, etc.
Total employment period June 26 to August 14, 2020.
The summer camp season includes one week of mandatory staff training (June 26 to July 2) and six weeks of residential camp (July 5 to August 14, 2020) that run from Sunday morning to Friday evening each week. The Kitchen Assistant Manager will also work Weekend Stayover July 24-26.
- Cook and serve meals efficiently.
- Care and cleaning of kitchen equipment and facility.
- Assist Kitchen Manager when needed during the camp day.
- Supervise kitchen staff with professionalism when Kitchen Manager is off duty.
- Assist in filling requisition requests for special meals and weekend stayover meals.
- Follow all Department of Health regulations and ACA guidelines for the kitchen area including food prep.
- Serve as a positive role model in language, appearance, and behavior.
- Support and embrace diversity in all interactions with campers, other staff members, volunteers and parents. Implement programs that engage diverse backgrounds, interests and learning styles.
- Arrive on time for all scheduled activities and duties.
- Participate in all required orientation, training, and/or in-service meetings and trainings as scheduled/required.
- Maintain a clean, professional, well-groomed appearance while on duty keeping in compliance with the Association and Camp Dress Code Policy at all times.
- Keep all relationships on a platonic basis during camp hours and camp season.
- Be familiar and strive to follow any applicable federal, state, local regulations, association health and safety policy/procedure/requirement and standard.
- Assist Supervisor with implementation of camp crisis management plan and/or emergency management procedures as required.
- Adhere to program standards including safety and cleanliness standards.
- Interact with campers, staff, parents, families, and the general public in a professional manner at all times.
- Aware of and adhere to all policies and procedures, including those related to medical and disciplinary situations, child abuse prevention, and emergencies.
- Ensure complete confidentiality of sensitive information regarding campers and staff at all times.
- Other duties may be assigned as required.
- 18 years of age or previous experience as an assistant cook.
- Experience with food management and large quantity cooking.
- Willingness and ability to be flexible to adjust to camp resources, conditions and programming.
Salary and Benefit Details
Salary commensurate with experience. Benefits are not available for this position.
Review of applications will begin immediately. The position will remain open until a qualified pool of candidates is obtained.
To be considered for this position, all candidates must:
- Complete ALL sections of the online application and questionnaires.
- Attach a Cover Letter.
- Attach names and contact information of at least 2 References.
READ THE APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS BELOW TO BE SURE YOU ARE UPLOADING DOCUMENTS AS REQUESTED.
- External Applicants: (including current employees of other Cornell Cooperative Extension Associations) Please refer to the "Applying for a Job (External Candidate)" document for additional guidance here: http://cce.cornell.edu/sites/default/files/applying_external.pdf.
- Internal Applicants: Current employees of Cornell Cooperative Extension of Ontario County are considered internal applicants. Please log into Workday to search jobs and apply using your professional profile.
Contact Mel Schroeder at firstname.lastname@example.org
Association Tmp Camp Ktchn Wkr
No Grade - Annual
Pay Rate Type:
Number of Openings:
Cornell Cooperative Extension is a collaboration among Cornell University, the United States Department of Agriculture, the State of New York, and the residents of New York State. Per NYS Law, county and regional extension service associations are subordinate government agencies. This employment opportunity is with the entities listed and not with Cornell University.
Cornell Cooperative Extension is an employer and educator recognized for valuing AA/EEO, Protected Veterans, and Individuals with Disabilities. Individuals who bring a diverse perspective and are support of diversity are strongly encouraged to apply.
Notice to Applicants: Please read the required Notice to Applicants statement. This notice contains important information about applying for a position at Cornell Cooperative Extension as well as some of your rights and responsibilities as an applicant.
- Posted 30+ Days Ago
- Full time