IDEX Design Engineer - Optical Interference Coatings in West Henrietta, New York
If you’re looking for a special place to build or grow your career, you’ve found it. Whether you’re an experienced professional, a recent college graduate or somewhere in between, IDEX is a place where you can apply your existing skills and learn new ones in an environment where you can make an impact.
With interesting opportunities in engineering, marketing, sales, supply chain, operations, HR, finance, and more across more than 40 diverse businesses around the globe, chances are, we have something special for you.
The Optical Filters Group is currently looking for a talented engineer (level based on experience and education) to join its seasoned team of optical thin-film filter designers in our RD&E group. The right candidate will have a proven aptitude to understand customer requirements and our manufacturing capabilities to create new product designs on a daily basis. A key skill to enable this is the ability to do complex computer modeling and optimization of physical systems.
Semrock’s filters are highly sophisticated, often having hundreds of coating layers, and an intuitive feel for creating well-optimized designs is as important as pure technical expertise. While an extensive knowledge of thin-film filter design is a plus, it is acceptable to have a solid ability to apply scientific principles and the ability to learn quickly. It is also expected that the successful candidate will demonstrate an interest and aptitude for learning and contributing to various projects related to coatings, manufacturing, optical monitoring, or optical metrology.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
The fundamental role of this position is creating sophisticated and manufacturable thin-film optical filter designs for new products, by computer modeling and optimization. Key success criteria for this position are:
- Customer satisfaction - measured by product performance versus specification at minimum cost;
- Rapid design turnaround - measured by on-time design delivery;
- Design manufacturability - measured by internal manufacturing metrics, such as reproducibility & yield,
- Performance - measured by meeting customer requirements;
- Efficient designs - measured by lowest cost for performance;
Additionally, this role also responsible for:
- Working with Applications Engineers and Application Scientists to support customer product development activities, specification development, and design estimates (occasionally speaking directly with customers);
- Working as part of a team to incorporate new designs and methods into the manufacturing process;
- Enhancing capabilities by introducing new design techniques and participating in algorithm development;
- Interacting with Manufacturing personnel as required;
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATION:
The following qualifications are required for success in this position:
- Bachelor’s degree plus a minimum of seven years professional experience in a relevant scientific, engineering, or mathematical discipline, such as Optics, Physics, Optical Engineering, Applied Physics, Chemistry, or Electrical Engineering.
- or Master’s degree plus a minimum of four years professional experience,
- or a Ph.D. degree plus a minimum of two years professional experience
- Experience with advanced computer modeling and design tools in simulating physical systems;
- An ability and desire to create manufacturable, cost-effective designs meeting customer specifications;
- Familiarity with use of optical filters, optics in general, and thin-film design preferred; the ability to quickly grasp the fundamentals is required;
- The ability to manage multiple tasks with competing deadlines;
- The ability to apply standard work to new problems;
- Experience delivering results under time and budget constraints;
- The right candidate will have a clear desire to succeed and be effective working in a fast-paced environment;
- On a personal level, the candidate will exhibit the highest standards of integrity, deliver upon all commitments, and be a highly motivated, team player;
DESIRED EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATION:
The following qualifications are desired and the successful candidate will be experienced in several:
- Prior use of thin film optical filters; experience with fluorescence or Raman microscopy.
- Experience in optics, optical engineering, design of optical systems, design of optical thin films, opto-mechanics, opto-electronics, and/or hands-on use of optics in a lab setting.
- Engineering experience in a commercial or manufacturing environment.
- Experience in process control, metrology, optical metrology, spectrometry, or robotics automation.
- Experience in customer service, talking with customers on the phone and in-person, understanding customer requirements, or negotiating detailed, technical product specifications.
- Proficiency with computers, familiarity with writing software code, and proficiency in using scientific or engineering software, such as Zemax, OptiLayer, Essential Mcleod, TFCalc, Code V, SolidWorks, Matlab, LabView, Simulink, ImageJ, or MS Project.
- Experience in generating and securing intellectual property, such as being the inventor on an issued US Patent.
These positions may require lawful access to ITAR/EAR controlled information and employees in this role will need to meet those requirements. Requirements include US Citizenship or US Permanent Resident.
Are you ready to join a different kind of company where our people, our culture, and our commitments are centered around providing trusted solutions that improve lives around the world?
IDEX (NYSE: IEX) is a company that has undoubtedly touched your life in some way. In fact, IDEX businesses make thousands of products that are mission-critical components in everyday activities. Chances are the car you’re driving has a BAND-IT® clamp holding your side airbag safely in place. If you were ever in a car accident, a Hurst Jaws of Life® rescue tool may have saved your life. If you or a family member is battling cancer, your doctor may have tested your DNA in a quest to find the best targeted medicine for you. It’s likely your DNA test was run on equipment that contains components made by our growing IDEX Health & Science team.
- IDEX Jobs