Barnes & Noble HR Business Partner in Westbury, New York
Title: HR Business Partner
Category: Human Resources
JobLocation: Westbury, New York 11590
JobSummary: Barnes & Noble is the world’s largest retail bookseller and the leading retailer of content, digital media and educational products. We operate over 600 Barnes & Noble bookstores in 50 states and one of the web’s premier e-commerce sites, bn.com. Our Nook Digital business offers a lineup of popular NOOK® tablets and eReaders and an expansive collection of digital reading content through the NOOK® store.
We’re proud to be an industry leader, consistently recognized for excellence in quality and customer service in our stores and online at bn.com.
An employee in this position can expect a starting rate between $70,000 - $85,000 annually, depending on experience, seniority, geographic locations, and other factors permitted by law.
The HRBP will support the needs of an assigned home office population. This role includes ownership of the full employee life cycle in regards to HR inquiries, Recruitment, Onboarding, Employee Relations, Performance Management and System/Data updates.
This role will work collaboratively with team members and business leaders alike and serve as an advocate for all our employees. Balancing being able to execute at a tactical level while maintaining a broader understanding of HR and the impact of our work on the business. Ensuring all activities are executed upon with the highest level of care and customer service.
• Own the employee life-cycle from onboarding and orientation of new employees to conducting exit interviews and offboarding of separating employees.
• Develop a deep and collaborative relationship within assigned population(s).
• Partner with managers on documentation and communication of HR policies and procedures.
• Respond timely to questions regarding payroll, benefits and general inquiries; liaise with the Benefits Department regarding FMLA and STD cases.
• Support consistency through policy execution, documentation and by following procedures and standards.
• Recommend, support, and execute training initiatives.
• Monitor changes in employment laws and ensure company compliance with any relevant changes.
• Support various Human Resources projects and tasks or duties as needed or assigned.
• Counsel managers on HR best-practices, including performance management.
• Assist/conduct investigations and resolve employee relations issues as they arise. Responsibilities include but are not limited to: conducting investigations, note keeping, legal review, and seeing through to resolution.
• Coach Home Office employees on Human Resource initiatives and company policies.
Recruiting & Onboarding
• Partner with hiring managers on recruitment needs to ensure that we hire top talent.
• Perform full-cycle recruiting of passive and active talent for various positions and levels to include: writing job descriptions, obtaining requisition approvals, posting, sourcing qualified candidates through ATS and online job boards as applicable, interviewing/selection and interview scheduling.
• Prepare offer paperwork for all new hires, ensuring proper approvals are in place
• Conduct new hire orientation.
• Process new hire paperwork and personnel files to ensure compliance with required documentation.
• Maintain data in PeopleSoft including data entry and reporting.
• Complete audits of ATS to ensure that all candidate documentation is in the system.
• Oversee activities and initiatives to support and engage employees within the Westbury, NY office, including but not limited to: Take Your Child to Work Day, seasonal events, and service award recognition program.
• Provide recommendations to maximize organizational engagement.
• Bachelor’s degree with minimum 4-6 years of relevant HR experience.
• Prior experience in book publishing or retail a plus.
• Demonstrated knowledge of employment law, employee relations best-practices, presentation skills, and recruiting practices.
• Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills as well as a strong customer service orientation.
• Attention to detail, organizational and time management skills, some project management experience.
• Ability to multi-task and handle a large volume requests and inquiries, with strong follow-through
• Ability to maintain confidentiality / discretion in all work place and HR matters and make well-informed decisions.
• Proficiency Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
• Knowledge of PeopleSoft a plus.
EeoStatement: Barnes & Noble is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, citizenship status, military or veteran status, religion, creed, disability, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, medical condition as defined by applicable law, genetic information, gender, gender identity, gender expression, hairstyle, pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions, reproductive health decisions, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws and ordinances.
Barnes & Noble
- Barnes & Noble Jobs