GATX Director Financial Planning & Analysis in Williamsville, New York
ASC Who Are We?
Throughout our history - http://www.americansteamship.com/milestones.php , American Steamship Company ("ASC") has been a pioneer in Great Lakes vessel transportation - http://www.americansteamship.com/great-lakes-trade-patterns.php . Founded in Buffalo, New York in 1907, ASC has witnessed and responded to dramatic changes in Great Lakes shipping and the industries it serves, many times leading the way with innovative solutions that have had a positive impact on Lakes shipping throughout the years.
Our Great Lakes fleet - http://www.americansteamship.com/fleet/index.php consists of self-unloading vessels - http://www.americansteamship.com/self-unloading-technology.php that range in length from 635-feet to 1,000-feet. The diversity of our asset base enables us to transport a variety of dry-bulk commodities including iron ore pellets, coal and limestone aggregates. Our single-trip vessel-carrying capacity ranges from 24,000 to 81,000 gross tons. During the navigation season, our vessels operate twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week and require no onshore assistance to unload cargo. Unloading speeds range from 7,000 to 10,000 net tons per hour.
Today, under the ownership of GATX Corporation - http://www.gatx.com/wps/wcm/connect/gatx/gatx_site/home , ASC continues to provide safe, efficient and environmentally responsible waterborne transportation. We are dedicated to continuously building value for GATX, our customers, our employees and the communities in which we live and operate.
How will you make an impact ?
This position supports the business leaders through financial analysis, which has a significant impact on the execution of the business strategy related to the operation of U.S. Flag, Jones Act qualified self-unloading vessels carrying free flowing bulk cargo between Great Lakes ports in the United States and Canada.
What are your key activities?
- * Business Advisory & Analytics
- Direct financial analysis and counsel decision makers with quantitative and qualitative information to enable informed and timely decision making
- Maintain, improve, and/or create modeling tools to support financial analysis for: Customer contracts - pricing and other commercial terms; Vessel capacity utilization; Asset acquisition & capital projects; and Fleet operational efficiency
- Perform scenario modeling and conduct ad hoc analysis
- Prepare presentations and written proposals for executive management
- Conduct cost analytics and assess customer profitability
What is required of you?
- * Bachelor of Science degree in Finance or Accounting
- * 8 to 10 years related of financial analytical experience with strong financial and business acumen.
- * Ability to understand, develop and utilize financial models to solve analytically-complex issues that involve ambiguity and uncertainty.
- * Strong proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, Data Modeling, Power P oint and Microsoft Project.
- * Desired:
- MBA degree, CPA, CFA, CMA or any combination.
- Experience in a division of a larger, publicly held company.
What are we looking for ?
- * Demonstrate ability to lead projects and coordinate and collaborate with peers , department managers and vessel managers .
- * Strong analytical skills; ability to collect, analyze and interpret qualitative and quantitative data; apply structured and disciplined methodology to developing proposals us ing data and clearly communicate actionable conclusions to others.
- * Exhibits a strong planning and organization skills with the ability to direct and motivate others
- * Exhibits attention to detail, focus on accurate and verifiable results and ability to prioritize and meet deadlines
- * Executive presence combined with excellent written and verbal communication skills to cultivate strong partnerships across all business levels
- * Strong understanding of finance & accounting concepts, with general understanding of GAAP
- * Experience managing a small team
Other things to note:
- * Travel is not significant with this position. However, there will be occasional visits to GATX Corporation in Chicago, Illinois.
- * Occasional v isits to Company vessels will be require d and along with travel to docks and customer facilities in the Great Lakes region of the United States and Canada.
- * Visits to vessels will require the physical agility necessary to climb steep ladders on the sides of ships and narrow stair wells inside the ships.
- * Must be eligible to enter Canada.
GATX embraces diversity and we are proud to be an Equa l Opportunity Employer. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills.
Follow us on LinkedIn! - https://www.linkedin.com/company/gatx/