Windham Mountain Resort Windham Race Factory Alpine Race Team Coach in Windham, New York
Overview of Position: Alpine Race Team Coaches work with a group of athletes throughout the course of the season enhancing their skiing and ski racing skills, fundamentals, and tactics to facilitate achieving competitive goals. Successful candidates will demonstrate professionalism and enthusiasm for the sport of ski racing as well as coaching children to enhance their skills and fundamentals through work in training environments, gates, and guided free-skiing. This is a part-time seasonal position on weekends and holiday periods from mid-December through mid-March, with the possibility of full-time work for the right candidate. Prior racing or coaching experience is preferred but not required. Candidates must hold a USSS Level 100 Certification including background check and Safesport training, which is supported by the WRFPA. Additional professional education and certification credentials may also be supported by the WRFPA. Coaching opportunities are available for U10, U12, U14, and U16 age groups.
Job Responsibilities and Duties: The list below best represents many of the tasks you will be asked to perform at some time during your employment at Windham Mountain Resort. This list of duties is not intended to represent all of the tasks you may be asked to perform.
· Be present and ready to accept all coaching assignments based on the needs of the program
· Utilize modern teaching and coaching methods and tactics in alignment with the Alpine Skiing Fundamentals and consistent with PSIA, USSS, and the direction of the Race Program Director
· Apply skills and tactics of managing groups of athletes in varying on-snow training environments
· Organize, manage, and deliver high-quality on-snow training sessions for athletes
· Demonstrate strong decision-making skills regarding on-mountain safety including appropriate terrain selection, and effective group management
· Assist in setting up and tearing down equipment for training environments
· Assist with organizing home races to the extent that scheduling allows
· Adhere to all Windham Race Factory policies and procedures particularly as it relates to guest and employee safety
· Deliver exceptional guest service to all resort guests
· Fulfill a season long coaching commitment
· Ability to travel to away races when necessary preferred
· Other undefined duties may be required periodically
Job Qualifications and Skills:
· Skiing Ability:
o USSS Level 100 Certification (minimum) required including background check and Safesport training.
o Previous racing or coaching experience preferred
o PSIA Certification preferred
o Must have a strong understanding of the Alpine Responsibility Code and appropriate mountain etiquette.
· Teaching Skills:
o Manage information, activities, terrain selection, and pacing of students to achieve desired outcomes
o Promote play, experimentation, and exploration of skills and mountain terrain appropriately
o Adapt to the changing needs of the athletes throughout training sessions
o Facilitate the athlete’s ability to reflect upon experiences and sensations to highlight skill development
o Manage emotional and physical risk in an alpine environment appropriately to challenge athletes to enhance their skills and tactics
· Technical Skills:
o Convey and apply accurate technical information for activities being coached in alignment with the coaching philosophies of the Program Director
o Observe and evaluate movement patterns and skills, and effectively prescribe information to enhance movement patterns, skills, and tactics of athletes
o Understand the Alpine Skiing Fundamentals as they relate to ski racing
· People Skills:
o Develop relationships with athletes and co-workers based on trust to create an environment in which skill development is likely to occur
o Engage in meaningful two-way communication with athletes to successfully accomplish goals
o Identify, understand, and manage your emotions and actions in a manner that fosters an effective coaching environment for athletes
o Recognize and influence the behaviors, motivations, and emotions of athletes to facilitate their ability to perform to their full potential
Work Schedule and Conditions: We are in the business of providing an Above and Beyond product and guest experience. Traditionally our busy periods are during weekends and holidays which you will be expected to work. You can also expect to be asked to work extra hours or days on occasion, especially during the holidays.